Why do people create roadside memorials for fatal car accidents, but not for any other kind of death?

Why do people create roadside memorials for fatal car accidents, but not for any other kind of death?

You never see memorials on the beach or river for drownings, or at extreme sport locations etc so why for road accidents?

1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I guess it's because it's often times someone else's fault, so it's thought to be more tragic.

1|0
    0|0
  • because of the nature of road accidents. people are killed by other people’s carelessness, which shouldn’t have happened at all. for drownings, you cause your own death so they put warning signs for you to be careful. extreme sports deaths are kind of the same nature as drownings

4|1
    0|0
  • There was a guy who passed away from a drug overdose near a main street and his family set up a little shrine at spot where he took his final breath.
    It does happen even though it's rare.
    There are some crosses in my area that really strike a cord with me because of how innocent and young they were.

2|0
    0|0
  • Mmm around where I’m at you’ll see... occasionally a roadside memorial that isn’t associated with a car accident but often I think memorials are best considered in locations of special interest to the deceased which are most likely not at the roadside and this not as visible to as many people or you aren’t allowed to place memorials in said locations due to law and regulations so there may be a memorial of sorts but you may not recognize it for what it is.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would assume because as in your example at a beach the public would be all over it and it would erode the appearance of the beach same goes for the river. When I am in nature or outside in general I want too see nature not someone's elses stuff. On a roadside it's fine if it's in the middle of nowhere because it isn't bothering anyone.

1|2
    0|0
  • I've now been kicking this idea around in my head since you posted it seven hours ago, and all I can come up with is that the people who put them up are hoping to remind drivers that fatal accidents do happen?

This isn't a big thing in the UK, but it's massive in the Balkans. We're talking miniature churches on poles, complete with icons and models of saints inside them.

2|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Wow that’s big 😳 here it’s usually a cross or pole driven into the ground or a telegraph pole decorated and they’re *everywhere*

• In NYC, you'll see a Ghost Bike posted on the sidewalk every-so-often. It represents someone that was killed on their bike.

http://ghostbikes.org/

2|0
    0|0
  • We’d have them where I grew up when people got shot/stabbed to death, then you always see people around with memorial t-shirts of people, etc. I looked up memorials from my old neighborhood, a bunch came up right away, which probably doesn’t say much about the neighborhood, lmao, but it is what it is

1|0
    0|0
    • 6d

Good point, I guess that’s not one I considered as it doesn’t happen here 🤦🏻‍♀️🙊

• Its simply as case of numbers and location. You notice the road ones because they're in urban area and lots of people die on the roads. People tend to drown or fall off cliffs in more isolated area and in much lower numbers.

1|0
    0|0
  • I’ve seen many memorials for people who drowned on beaches & also for people who were murdered
    I’d reckon you see road memorials more often because motorway related deaths are just so much more frequent

1|0
    0|0
  • Because they can, it's a small thing, there's no real logic too it but maybe it helps with their greif to do what little they can for their lost love ones. I've seen this done for drowning victims too by the side of a river or for someone who fell or jumped off a cliff. Often when people are killed playing sports there's a memorial in the form of a plaque or a stand named after them or a jersey hung up.

0|0
    0|0
  • It serves as a reminder to others that they need to exercise caution when driving and not drive like chimpanzees with their butts on fire.

1|0
    0|0
  • It could be a way to create drivers awareness to drive safely and reduce speed.

3|1
    0|0
  • cause most other kinds of death don't happen on the roadside xD

also, i guess on the road side, such things are the least "in the way" of anybody and nobody will bother taking it away, so that's why, i guess.

1|0
    0|0
  • To aware you also... To be careful and always have one in mind

3|1
    0|0
  • That's a good question, frankly, I find it a little weird and pointless.

3|0
    0|0
  • I have seen one at a local beach, actually. They're just not as common because car crashes kill a lot more people and it's a good reminder to drive safe.

0|0
    0|0
  • I Have seen many a Memorial, Here, Dear, And Yes... Elsewhere... xx

0|1
    0|0
  • I also think it’s related to legal matters and obstructing public access to facilities such as the beach if there would be a lot of memorials. Sometimes it’s not practical to place a memorial in certain places, but on the side of the road, usually off the road, seems a lot easier and practical to place than most places. Also, this spot isn’t obstructing anyone’s access to facilities. A beach just seems like a place where a lot of people frequent and it might not be appropriate to put something like a memorial there.

0|0
    0|0
  • For two reasons:
    1. To remind drivers to drive safely, be sober, and watch for pedestrians
    2. Because it's a visible place where the memorial will actually be seen

0|0
    0|0
  • We have them here at the beach by me but usually it's flowers put into the sea so they get taken away by the tide.

0|0
    0|0
  • 0|0
    0|0
  • Not sure, I think it’s because people driving can see it more often as a reminder

1|0
    0|0
  • They happen all the time, you're just more likely to see them by roads because more people die on roads, and you're probably on roads more often.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

I’m at several beaches 3 times a week 🤷🏻‍♀️ Never a memorial

• 7d

Very few people drown at beaches lmao, you do also realise it depends on the family and the rules of the area? Some people don't want memorials and one on a beach would be pointless because you know the tide.

• 7d

280 people die every year in swimming related incidents here, a friends son died last week while bodyboarding. It’s not an extremely uncommon occurrence and 99% of beaches don’t lose their entire shore to a tide.

I’m absolutely aware it’s up to the family, but as it seems you missed the point I’m asking WHY families choose to do it for road deaths and not others but thanks for trying

• Cause it’s easier to create... it’s more convenient as well.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it has to do with the concerning amount of fatalities in car accidents.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't know only one that benefits is the florist...

0|0
    0|0
  • Because most places where other people have died are less likely to be passed by or seen.

0|0
    0|0
  • Apparently you don't have many gang murders near you or you would see more.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have seen them at many other different places not just roadsides.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its a form of activism against road rage.

4|1
    0|0
  • Bc those are usually road accidents

0|0
    0|0
  • It is a warning sign to others.

0|0
    0|0
  • So many memorials you can make 🤷‍♂️

0|0
    0|0
  • I can imagine people building a memorial on the beach only to have it destroyed by the waves later on the same day.

2|0
    0|0
    • 6d

The tide rarely goes all the way up the sand

• Show All
    • 5d

That’s not a rip tide... a rip is a fast flowing bit of water due to currents meeting - they don’t cause huge waves onto the shore
      The trees blowing indicate monsoonal weather 🤷🏻‍♀️

• 4d

Yep, I checked and it's actually a storm surge.

Recommended myTakes