Are shy people considered to be lacking confidence and insecure?

314

314
  • Yes, shy people do lack confidence but that doesn't mean they would be insecure. Not necessary.

Insecurity and confidence are not necessarily connected with one another.

• I don't think that just because one is shy, they are insecure. They might be lacking some confidence though.

• Yes I know because it happens to me all the time people always say that about me

• Because it’s a stereotype we usually give people because we see it in movies

• Lacking confidence, probably. But insecure, hmm not so sure.

• Generally, yes.

• 6d

Why does it seem like that?

• 6d

Well it begs us to ask why are they shy? Why are they not confident like others? Generally it stems from a lack of confidence being social, or being insecure to the point they don't want to be heard, be at the center of attention etc. How do they achieve that? Being "shy". What is it caused by, insecurities and confidence/self-esteem issues.

That being said, some people just are shy, for no other reason than personality traits/genetics.

• 6d

This culture is obsessed with extroversion. if it was the opposite way, shyness wouldn't stand out as much.

• yeah, I should know, I happen to be one of them

• usually that is the case

• A bit yes

• Oui 🤟

• Noope

• not at all

• Mostly they are

• Nah. I wouldn't confuse shy with insecure..

• Often times, yes

• No self a steam

• i'm considered a shy guy and the crazy thing is that i have less insecurities than those outgoing folks around me. i mean even though people think i'm shy i still do better at things like public speaking. i think in my case the problem is lack of social skills. i'm not really comfortable around certain people and not eager to start or have conversations with them and people always put it down to shyness without considering other possibilities. i know there are many so called shy people out there who just don't have social skills. the truth is we all have lots of insecurities but some people think that they can overcome those insecurities by denying them and being excessively sociable.