Guitar Recommendations: Favourite Brand, Difference between Grand concert shape vs classic dreadnought?

What is
Guitar Recommendations: Favourite Brand, Difference between Grand concert shape vs classic dreadnought?

I was leaning more towards this one but I am a beginner and plan on learning myself in the beginning. Ideally i don't want to just get any guitar that requires me to trade in to do better. I would like to keep for years.

I like jack johnson, jason miras, tracy mirar etc so I am looking for similar sounds
e. g

How does the sound compare between the 2 types of guitars? I would like to play at home and record

I am thinking of the brand cort witht tuner
  • Cord
    Vote A
  • Yamaha
    Vote B
  • Gibson
    Vote C
  • Other
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I would recommend Martin before those brands listed. I find Gibson to do a better job in the electric guitar department rather than acoustic. I'd recommend Gibson out of those listed. I've found Yamaha better for stereos, pianos, and many other things than acoustic. Nevertheless, it all depends on your budget. If you're looking to use the same guitar for years, I'd suggest getting to around the $300 range, where it becomes the beginner-intermediate range. From that, I'd highly recommend the Ibanez AW54CEOPN. A ton of guitars in that range sound plinky or weak, but that guitar is honestly the best one I've played and heard in that range from trying out LOTS of them at various guitar centers. I won't make some claim like it sounding like a $1000 acoustic, but it easily matches up to the intermediate range guitars and feels great to play. It comes in a non-cutaway version if you'd prefer that too.

Of course, the general recommendation is to either play it in person or have someone else play it for you in person and listen to it. It's hard to buy something off the internet and have a good feel for the sound.

Regarding body shape, classic dreadnoughts usually sound a bit fuller to me than grand concert. If you're looking to get an open cut like the picture, I've had good experiences from Taylor in that. Cheaper Taylors sound a bit bright, so you have to really search through. Cutaway acoustic guitars can give a bit of a plink-ier/thinner sound at the cheaper side of things, but you get more frets, so it's a trade off.

Sidenote: I wouldn't worry much about how the guitar sounds through the pickups, because 1.) recording through basically anything apart from super high end pickups will sound like poo (which cost A LOT), so I doubt you'll want to record through that and 2.) when you play live through an amp, the amp adds enough coloration to the sound that the pickup on the acoustic doesn't make a huge difference, at least in my opinion. It's best to focus on the sound of the body of the guitar rather than the pickup-- that can't be changed.

0|1
    0|0
  • Gibson and yamaha are both good brands, but at the same time often a higher price class than less profiled ones. Personally i dont like the sound of steel strings, if you are talking about those guys you mentioned i think nylon strings is what you're talking about. But it is worth mentioning that there are hybrid strings too, giving slightly different sounds. Nevertheless if you are starting out like you said then just noting the difference between nylon and steel strings is more than enough. A tuner is a must at your stage. As for the brand id go to a store and try som out, the cheap ones too. Then go for one you like. Many high tier brands cost disproportionally more. Compare it to lets say prada shoes contra same ones off brand, an experienced person could tell you some differences, one whos not probably couldnt. So id sooner go for an off brand in your shoes rather than investing in a "dolce & gabanna" without knowing why other than "im gonna appreciate it more down the line... That is if i stick to it and dont give up/grow tired of it in the meantime"

0|1
    0|0
  • Get a nylon string, acoustic electric. Don't worry about the body style.

0|1
    0|1
  • If you're a beginner looking for a cheap electric guitar, I would recommend getting an Epiphone Les Paul. If you want a professional high quality guitar, I would recommend Gibson, Fender, Rickenbacker, C. F. Martin, and Ibanez.

0|0
    0|0
  • Martin. I love the way a Martin sounds and how it feels in my hands.

0|2
    0|0
  • I like Ovation. The difference in tone between the two bodies is mostly overall volume and deep notes

0|1
    0|0
  • I got a Gibson recently and had it refurbish with my summer cash, WELL worth the cash. Sounds fucking beautiful even on my old yamaha amp

0|0
    0|0
  • only ones i ever played on were electric guitar but i sucked at it i was much better at the keyboard and piano

0|0
    0|0
    • 4 d ago

classic by the way yamaha is only good for stereo's and keyboards im not sure if fender strater makes an acoustic guitar

• You really should play them to see which fits your style and sound.
    Acoustically I really like Olson guitars, but they are costly. On a budget the Yamaha APX are decent. Also Washburn has some surprisingly decent nylon string acoustic-electric guitars that are inexpensive. For 12-string, my favorite is easily Martin. Some people love Taylor, but I find them too bright for my tastes.

But all of these are based upon my style (I rarely use a pick even when shredding on my Ibanez 8 strings) and tastes. You really need to just play a bunch and find what fits you.

0|0
    0|0
    • 4 d ago

As for artists, the tone is in the fingers. Eddie Van Halen or Joe Satriani can play cheap $100 imported guitars and you can still tell who is playing.

• 9-Strings for badass purposes.

0|0
    0|0
  • I build my own acoustic guitars, but if I bought one from a manufacturer it would be a Martin. Of the ones you listed, I would go with Gibson.

Which size to get depends on what kind of playing you do. Do you do more strumming of flat picking, or more finger style? What style of music do you like to play?

0|1
    0|0
    • 4 d ago

I am a beginner but I really like thtte sound of picking better. Always really liked jack johnsons style and i seen one of his guitars was a cort which seems quite good

• 4 d ago

Johnson usually plays a dread.

I'm not familiar with Cort guitars except that I know they are made in Indonesia, Korea and China.

Recommended myTakes