What is your definition of love and hate and where did you learn it from?

What is your def. of love/hate? where did you learn it from mostly?

21

21
  • Love for me is a dream and hope I build and work towards that fills me with meaning and purpose in life. I think of it as the stuff of dreams and hopes and fantasies. I have a dream and hope and fantasy of my wife, and of us, and that makes me very invested in her, and us.

As for how I learned it, that just came about from analyzing myself and my thoughts. I asked myself what's the difference between the love I have for my wife now and, say, my teenage crush? Some people might call the crush an "infatuation" but I still cared about my crush's well-being and happiness and I still think I would have risked my life to save hers. It wasn't just all about wants and desires.

The only major difference to me is that the fantasy I built towards my crush was almost entirely rooted in imagination; I didn't know her so well so I built those hopes and dreams on very limited information. With my wife, I built that fantasy slowly and tweaked and adapted it over the years so it's built over an overwhelming abundance of information, and the dream and fantasy is hopefully quite an accurate representation of who she actually is, and how we actually are as a couple.

As for hate, I just consider it a burden on the person who holds it. I've learned to no longer hate people from a very young age as a boy because it just became a burden and made me stressed out for no good reason. I still haven't got over the tendency to hate certain "things" and aspects about the world, but I've at least to "hate the sin and not the sinner," if you will. At least that imposes a much lesser burden on the metaphorical heart since the hatred doesn't have to be reignited every time I see the person.

• 7 d ago

[...] but I've at least [learned] to "hate the sin and not the sinner," if you will.

• Love is how a Dog sees its owner. Like you'd pretend to drown and even if that dog is super small, it would still jump in the water and try to get you out of there. They would get sad when you're gone and will be super excited to see you again. Their selflessness and loyalty. Love

• Love and hate are exactly the same thing! A passion that is uncontrollable! You can not hate someone unless you loved them!
    I think relationships end because the love you had for someone turns to hate because as people we grow and can grow apart and it’s frustration that the love isn’t there!
    I love cheese but if I eat it too much I will hate it!