Do you consider dog muzzles to be cruel?

Some people thinks it's animal abuse if you put a muzzle on a dog. My mother thinks it's cruel, but I don't have a choice because my mother never socilize her like I told her to at a young age. Therefore she's fearfull of strangers. The only "socialization" she's recieved was from groomers and doctors with needles.

She is a toy schnauzer named Sophie and is agressive todwards strangers. I don't think it's fair that she has to stay at home all the time while her siblings can go to the dog park and play with other dogs just because she wasn't trained properly. I want her to be able to do the fun things and go to the dog park with with us, but I can't risk her biting people. So she wears a vest that says, "don't pet me" and "I bite" plus a basket muzzle that allows her to pant and drink.

I could just use the vest, but we all know damn well some people are utterltly stupid and try pet your dog without permission. Even if they are wearing a harness or vest with explicit warnings on it. And if she bites someone whether she has the vest with warnings written all over it or not she will be the one punished for it, having to be put down. So I say it's better to be safe than sorry.

She honestly is such a sweetheart, but she's just unsure and fearful of strangers.

What's your take on the matter?Do you consider dog muzzles to be cruel?Do you consider dog muzzles to be cruel?
  • Is think it's crule and or abusive, you're a bad owner.
  • It's not crule, you do what you have to to ensure your dogs safety.
  • It depends how it's used, what it's used for, and how long she's forced to wear it.
    Vote C
7 d ago
Okay, I see a lot of people saying "get her a trainer." Well what a great idea!🤦‍♀️ My mom definitely hasn't already tried that a million times before.

1623

Most Helpful Girls

• If used in order to ensure her safety and the safety of others, then it’s absolutely not cruel. Basket muzzles least of all, since they don’t limit her from almost anything apart from biting. It’s a really good choice. If used well, a muzzle is the opposite of cruel, and can save your pup’s life. The only cruelty here in my opinion is that she wasn’t given a proper opportunity to develop social skills, and the fact that she has to stay isolated because of it. My rescue dog has socialisation problems as well, and I absolutely understand where you’re coming from. As long as she is safe and the muzzle isn’t harming her and is being used only when needed, you’re absolutely doing the right thing. Do what you have to to keep her safe, and don’t be discouraged by what your mother says. Your dog is really cute, I bet she’s super sweet with her family! Good luck, I hope everything works out 😊

• No, not only is it for the safety of people around the dog it’s for their own benefit as well. If they bite someone out of fear or aggression they’ll often have to be put down.
    I soft muzzle one of my dogs when we’re in social situations (not out for walks or with family, but to the markets or the beach). She’s not usually an aggressive dog but she is incredibly fearful of strangers and other dogs and because she’s small, fluffy and cute 99% of people think it’s ok to just pat her or pick her up 😐 because it scares her she snaps and if she got anyone especially a child she’d be in trouble so we prevent it on our end.
    It’s not cruel, it’s not pleasant and it’s frustrating but so is leaving her at home all the time

• 7 d ago

Some people seem woefully uneducated on anxious pets. It’s not just training, it’s an ingrained response to anything they’re scared of. I’ve had Allie for almost 8 years, we’ve spent thousands of dollars on trainers, behavioural specialists and dog whisperers. She’s just scared of strangers and with where she came from it’s understandable. Why keep trying to force her into situations that make her uncomfortable when she’s happy the way she is and muzzling her doesn’t 2-3 times a month doesn’t stress her out 🤷🏻‍♀️

Most Helpful Guys

• Its better for the dog to be muzzled than destroyed when it bites someone. I assume she needs it from your post and in a lot of ways it can be a positive. Keeping both the dog and their owner calm.

• I'll put it to you this way, they put muzzles on human beings when they're crazy, meaning they can't control their behavior, and a dog is the same way, only you can teach it otherwise

• 7 d ago

That's true. They put masks on prisoners to keep them from spitting or biting, so why not on dogs to keep them from biting?

• 7 d ago

Best reply yet.