1 mo

Can a white person cosplay a person of colour?

Anonymous
I’m a white female who does cosplay. I recently cosplayed as Kofi Kingston from New Day in WWE. I will say this clearly;
I did not paint my skin in anyway to make it look brown! In other word I didn’t do black face. That’s absolutely wrong to me, if you can’t portray a person with any other characteristics other than skin colour I don’t think you should be cosplaying them (black face is always wrong regardless of the situation).
That being said I was still told by multiple people that I should have though about my costume before wearing it and other stuff along the same lines.

I just really want to know if this was actually wrong of me to do. I didn’t feel it was wrong but I’m not sure now and I just want to know if it was actually an offensive thing to do. I truly didn’t see anything wrong in cosplaying someone of a different race, I’m just really wanting to hear what everyone honestly thinks about this.
Yes
No
Other (explain in comments)
Vote C
GirlGuy
7
4