1 mo

Should I rehome my pet rats?

Anonymous
Just yesterday I had a very traumatizing event happen with my lizard, which the rats were a part of. They had hurt him badly, and he was put down. This deeply traumatized me, I can’t look at my rats without breaking down anymore, I however make sure to feed them and let them out. I don’t hate them, I still love them. But whenever I look at them it reminds me of the event that occurred. I’m not sure if I should rehome them or keep them till they pass away. They are relatively young, the oldest three being 1 year and 3 months old, and two 7 month old rats, and one 5 month old rat. The expected lifespan of rats is 2-3 years I believe. I’m not sure if I can provide them a good life anymore honestly, nor if it’s good for my mental health. I feel horrible guilt for what had happened to my lizard, I loved him dearly. And I love my rats, but I can’t look at them without remembering the horrible things they had done to him. So I was wondering if I should rehome them. Or keep them till they pass away, which could well be years from now. I feel bad for considering to even rehome them, but I don’t know if I can handle it anymore. Nor provide them a good life.
Should I rehome my pet rats?
Add Opinion