Zoloft for OCD and other

I was diagnosed with BDD (Body Dysmorphic Disorder) and Dermatillomania (pathalogical skin picking) a while back and they have now put me on Zoloft because the other medicine was not working and I continued to pick.

Now I have always heard horrible things about Zoloft and was wondering if anyone else knows or could help me understand what their experience or what they felt on this drug.
Updates:
Only problems I am having is the shakes early in the morning. but so far nothing so bad. thanks everyone for the help

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I took it for OCD for a while, and it made me feel jittery and I read that you ca get addicted so I stopped. I like things organized anyhow.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Zoloft is an anti-depressant, why would they put you on that for those conditions?

From what I've heard as long as you're not pregnant and don't plan to become pregnant anytime soon it's fine. Just make sure to get off the stuff LONG before attempting to concieve.

0|0
    1|1
  • That's very interesting that they put you on zoloft, I've heard it mostly used for depression and anxiety, sounds like you have an OCD problem with regards to picking at your skin. Zoloft for depression has gotten good reviews. As with any drug, its different for different people, it might work for you and it might not. Try it, but see if there's something else out there to treat your behavior. I'm curious, do you really need drugs to get you to stop picking at your skin?

0|0
    0|0
    • I have tried so much to stop picking, wearing gloves, wrapping my fingers and hiding the tweezers, and I literally feel like I am going crazy if I don't get rid at whatever is on my skin that I know shouldn't be there whether it be acne, scabs, or a small bump, I have to get rid of it.

• Hmm, have you comsidered therapy instead of drugs?

• I'm on Zoloft for anxiety and it has helped me a bit. I do feel sick every day but that's mainly because I need to be one a higher dosage and I'm on 100mg. I have actually heard good things about Zoloft, I also take clonazepam 3 times a day and that has helped me more than anything. It just sucks because they both are addictive.

0|0
    0|0
  • Horrible. I used it for OCD and I should have did my research first. OCD has no problems with serotonin production. The reason why Zoloft works for some people is because, roughly 2-3 months into the treatment, there is an effect on glutmate, specifically the NMDA receptor. That is why they have moderate success with SSRIs. It floors me that it is even considered a standard for OCD (Zoloft and similar SSRIs) treatment. It really is a joke when you read the papers.

0|0
    0|0
  • they are very strong and very addictive. My grandmom was on them for anxiety and they made her worse, they didn't just highten her anxeity and she got paranoid she didn't want to be left alone and she became addicted to them she freaked out if she had to think of not taking them, but she is OK now thank god

0|0
    0|0
  • I took zoloft with no side effects for a period of two months because a set of undiagnosed conditions affected me at one time. I checked in with a psychologist admitted that I wasn't depressed but just worried about myself and family which was understandable the withdrawal took another month long

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't take it.

Go hike a mountain, make some friends, eat healthy, drinks lots of water, and find something beautiful you are passionate about, and do that thing. And laugh a lot. Maybe smoke some weed.

It'll get better.

0|0
    0|0
    • I mean this with all sincerity. How is this the best answer?

• If you are incapable of understanding that prescription drugs are not necessary for a healthy life physically, mentally, and spiritually, then perhaps you should examine your worldview.

• Began to notice that my life it is a copy of life of sister. For us a difference is in 5. In childhood parents put in an example, she at school high achiever and I after her, she teaches languages, I too, she on dance, I there. Entered an university on an environmentalist, I in track after her, for her the business, I work on her, we live in her house. And even habits from her took away. Me it seems to I live the not life. I sit on antidepressant Zoloft. buy zoloft online whatever she knew. That to do I do not know.

0|0
    0|0
  • We tried giving our son Zoloft for OCD...he is PDD-NOS (Autism Spectrum)...and it did seem to help on the OCD..but we may as well have been giving him amphetamines...):

0|0
    0|0
  • Hasnt helped me one bit

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to take Zoloft because the Ritalin I took as a kid would make me depressed and the Zoloft was there to balance it out. But I think combining Dexedrine with Zoloft caused me to get serious headaches when I got angry, frustrated, or stressed. When I decided to detox from Zoloft, the head aches disappeared.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have a prescription for zoloft but have not taken it. Having said that I have taken other ssri's before. They personally didn't work for me and are all known for their sexual side effects. That was my biggest issue, and is definitely something you should look out for. Try it first and see how you react. Some people it makes a world of difference, some it helps a little, some it doesn't help at all. Know that it takes a while to kick in and your doctor might have to mess around with the dosage.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've taken it and felt no negative effects, really. What experiences have you heard of?

0|1
    0|0
    • I have heard that getting off of it is bad, and there is weight gain and sometimes being dizzy.

• I'm glad it's working out for you! Side effects like the one you mentioned should diminish over time if you take it as prescribed.

Recommended myTakes