Health insurance question?

I am 24 years old and I am on my moms insurance. Would my mom know if I use my insurance card if I go to the hospital?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, if she is the one who pays the the insurance bill (premium). She will get a statement from the hospital on the procedure, and a cost and it will tell her how much she owes. Sometimes this is called a statement and a Certificate of Benefits or Certificate of Coverage.

If you are trying to avoid having your mother see what happened at the hospital, you might have to do one of the following: 1) ask the hospital billing department if they can bill you directly though you are on your mom's coverage for privacy and financial reasons. Hospitals are very tuned in to patient privacy and they will probably accomodate you. 2) Or you will have to intercept the statement at your mom's house before she sees it.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• They will mail the bill in your name. She won't know unless she looked for your activity for some reason or read your mail.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's possible. All insurance companies have a log of all of your activities online now a days. Whoever pays the bill has access to information on what the insurance has been used for. This is mainly as a record for the family deductible. If she looks, she could easily see what's going on...

As far as the billing, well insurance will cover what it will, and you will be responsible for the rest of the costs. They will likely bill you on the spot and you can pay there or have a bill mailed to you in your name and settle it before the billing period is up like any other bill.

0|0
    0|0
  • The hospital will probably send you something in the mail maybe even several things but they will all be addressed to you. But the insurance usually sends an exclamation of benefits and that will be addressed to your mom since she is the policy holder. Otherwise without really looking she will not know. And the insurance can take a while so if you are hoping to intercept her mail it could take months. I got one EOB 5 months after the appotiment.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes