How well do you relate to people of your same "age and ethnicity" that you've met in your lifetime?

I know this question can be sensitive; anonymous answering is allowed for this question?

---

Confusing question? Allow me to answer my own question as an example:

I am a black American male in my mid-20s. I've lived in some affluent areas as well as some "economically depressed" areas.

Sadly I don't relate well to most black males my age throughout my lifetime (mainly most black males in urban areas which I lived).

I got the whole "acting white" thing quite often (and still do nowadays occasionally) because although I'm a RABID fan of hip-hop...I was fully focused on my schoolwork, spoke proper English, and turned down typical urban life distractions (weed, other drugs, "fast" aka slutty girls to avoid the "pregnancy trap", etc.)...

...

...

...to focus on my goals of going to college, getting a degree, and starting work in a place that I enjoy to obtain "The American Dream" (aka, financial security).

Because I wasn't as "urban" as most of the other dudes of my race in my HS (and the small % of black males at my university), I didn't get a lot of "female attention" from girls of my own race.

The funny paradox is, black girls overall didn't give me a lot of attention in my HS and in college, but I got some from other races, then these same girls that obviously disliked me, had the nerve to call ME a "sellout" (aka, in black culture, a race traitor). *shrugs*

Unfortunately, some blacks my age, that made it to colleges/universities, STILL carried this same "ghetto mentality" with them to the point of only kicking it with the 2% of black students in my university.

I don't get why you would want to go to a school, yet socially abstain yourself from 98% of the student body. That's why I wasn't involved in BSU at my university; it seem liked they wanted to secede from the university and make their own college separate from everyone else! :-X

---

If I could vote myself on this poll, I would vote a 3-4 out of 10. (aka, less than half of those of my same age and ethnic background I relate to)

---

Damn that was long! Thank you for reading. :)

Now it's your turn. Please be detailed so we can understand your mindset and why you voted the way you did.

Thanks for answering...and feel free to guess the Pokemon! :-D
  • 1-2 out of 10
  • 3-4 out of 10
  • 5-6 out of 10
    Vote C
  • 7-8 out of 10
    Vote D
  • 9-10 out of 10
    Vote E

246

Most Helpful Girl

• 4 out of 10 for me ...

I don't fit that much between the most of the people with the same age as me.

I remember when I was on kindergarten till 4th year I use to spend more time alone than playing with other kids. Everything I could play with them was ruled by the popular girl... I always preferred to be alone than have a bitc*y rich girl telling me how should I play...

in 5-9th year, most girls there was just thinking about guys, cigarettes, skipping classes and dress like they were 18... I was too childish for that. couldn't wait to get home and play with my barbies.

then, on 10-12thyear all they thought about was boyfriends, sex, make up, getting drunk and talking about how much they hated their parents and siblings... I love my family... I love reading and drawing. so, I always stayed at home while I knew they were getting so drunk they would pass out on the walkway or let anyone take advantage of them...

and then, on University, finally got the best mates I could have...

never skipped a class, delivered all the assignments in time, studied together... but, actually had lot's of fun with them... got out at night with them for drinks, sleepovers, dinner partys... no one ever said anything or judged me every time I refused to give my phone number to a really hot guy or if a guy friend offered me a drink and not to them... never tried to push me to do something wrong...

i know that all the difference here can be just the maturity level... but the ones that just thought about guys, sex and drugs... are still like that.