Women and Pack Mentality?

Have you ever noticed the bullsh*t society spews about being yourself? Yet anytime some shows a hint of straying from set guidelines of acceptability you're labeled a freak, or nerd, or loser. And if you're anything like me you do what want without checking someone else's approval clock and consequentially get labeled an attention seeking prat.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think the stuff people say about "being yourself" is bullshit. I think in the long run it works out better. You end up being happier, and when you make friends, you know they're there with you for you, and not a persona you've been projecting. Same goes for relationships. Furthermore, it's a hell of a lot less to maintain. People who aren't themselves have to keep a lie going, they have to second guess things, they have to keep stories and other things straight.

Anyway, that's what I think. I don't exactly disagree though. I just don't think it's bullshit. Let people label you how they will, but I think you'd be a bigger loser if you have to live a lie just to please people.

P.S. - I didn't notice a question in all of this. I am not sure why you posted this, but I would ask you end it with an actual question, otherwise some admin might delete it.

0|0
    0|0
    • In the words of bill cosby "Yeah, well what if your real self is an a**hole?"

• "Yes, but what if you're an a**hole?" is the quote, but to answer your question, I say this. If you're an a**hole, then anyone not associating themselves with you, is better off. If they know you to be an a**hole and they're still there, that's on them.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• yeap... most people are so busy being "different" that they are just like everyone else who is being different... hence they aren't different at all, just joining the pack.

My two cents is for you to be who you are. When the rest of the world is so messed up, you can't do any worse than the crowd, and most likely you will do better. It is indeed a crazy world we live in. Hold the line...

0|0
    0|0
  • I agree with you. I'm not sure if you've ever hear the song "who you are" by Jesse J. That girl speaks some truth in that song. I've been told SO many times that I'm a freak/nerd even worse but I will never change myself. I was born to be myself and taught to have my own indepedent thoughts and I'm glad so and do so. :). Keep doing you regardless of what others think.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's the same for men. If you do anything that is slightly questionable you're labeled as girly, or a f**, and they all gang up on you. People are basically animals.

Also, yes, all of the things that people say, like "be yourself" and "there's someone out there for everybody"... all of those things they say that SEEM to be too good to be true ARE TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE.

0|0
    0|0
    • They think they're being helpful, but in the long run, they aren't. What they mean is be yourself WHILE FALLING UNDER ALL OF THE GUIDELINES THAT SOCIETY HAS PLACED AROUND WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN'T SAY/DO/DRESS LIKE

Recommended myTakes