Why are Arthurian legends studied by scholars?

Doing a English assignment and a question asked is why are Arthurian Legends studied by scholars. I can't seem to find any websites or books that have quotes from scholars or even why they are studied. If anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.

04

Most Helpful Guy

• Athurian legends are studied by scholars because of the Illiad,

Let me explain. The Illiad is about the Trojan War. For a long time, people wondered if the city of Troy even existed.

Until one scholar used the Illiad to find it's ruins.

Thus, many scholars hope the the Athurian legends could be used to find Camelot, or perhaps where King Arthur was buried, or even who King Arthur was.

Keep in mind though, there are effectively three sets of Arthurian legends.

The first deals with King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. It tells about King Arthur and his knights doing heroic deeds.

The second set was written by Geoffrey of Monmouth in the 12th Century. It was called Historia Regum Britanniae and introduces a lot of the Arthurian ideas that people associate with King Arthur. There is much debate on what was just made up and what he based on actual history. (Which assumes that the first set was based on anything.)

The third set was written by Chrétien de Troyes, a French writer. This introduced Lancelot and the Holy Grail. Some believe the Lancelot may have come from other tales and was simply incorporated into the Arthurian Legends. (Think of it like a crossover between two different comic books.)

As to where you should start researching, I'd suggest Wikipedia. It will have links to various sites that you can use. (Which may also have links.)