Is "social anxiety" common?

"Social anxiety is a feeling of discomfort, fear, or worry that is centered on our interactions with other people and involves a concern with being judged negatively, evaluated, or looked down upon by others. While it can often happen during the social exchange itself, it may also pop up in anticipation of a social occasion, or afterward when we review our performance in a given situation."

I have always had that. I assumed it was normal. Do you get this?

0|2

Most Helpful Girl

• I get that all the time.

I think there is a fine line with concern and total preoccupation and obsession/worry about things/

Its one thing to wonder what someone else is going to think, its another to obsess that "they think I am so stupid, god I am so stupid why am I doing this? Everyone is watching me. Everyone is laughing at me on the inside. Those people over there? they are talking about me, Those people know what they are doing and are perfect." etc.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• It's becoming more and more common because of all this technology we are getting wrapped up in. People can't even make eye contact anymore and are glued to cell phones with internet access.

We go online for everything now, even our dates. People can say things in text message but they can't to your face. Number one reason I drop contact with girls when we message online is that they claim they "want to get to know me better" when I suggest a simple meet for coffee.

When I was super young, I used to talk with friends on the phone from the landline all the time. Now I can't get anyone to move past the text messaging. Kids are continuing to grow up with no social skills because they're being put in front of computer monitors and cell phone screens "interacting" with people they don't even know.

1|0
    0|0
    • I agree with this. It's the reason why I deleted Facebook. It's such a shame.

A friend actually phoned me the other day. It felt weird talking to him on the phone, but when I was younger, me and my friends were always phoning each other.

It feels a lot nice to make a call.

• As far as I'm aware, it is.

It's a problem I have too. I have an extremely difficult time handling people out of my small group of people I trust.

I also have anxiety attacks if there are too many people around.

It's all fun, eh?

0|0
    0|0
  • i was kind of like that, although I wasn't concerned with what people thought of me. I just used to dread talking to people and going out and doing things. I used to be terrible at making conversation. think I was just shy more than anything.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yoooo I was clinically diagnosed with social anxiety! It's kind of more extreme than just thinking this stuff though. I would become so preoccupied with worry that I would be unable to do anything. My voice would crack and I would physically shake just talking to people. Fun right. But I got counseling and it helped considerably; now it's just kind of the mental side of things that needs cleared up HA

Anyways I think everyone has social anxiety sometimes, to some degree. It's hard to imagine all the co fident people worrying about this crap but I believe everyone does at some point.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it is normal also. A lot of people experience social anxiety some way or another. I think it's only abnormal when it starts to interfere in your life and relationships. I know I used to have anxiety about walking into a grocery store by myself and so I always had my groceries delivered. I knew it wasn't healthy so I just pushed myself to go out alone one day and got over my fear.

Society is a major factor for social anxiety, we're taught that we need to make a good impression and care about what people think of us so we constantly feel judged when we walk around. Theh you stress about saying the wrong thing or being hated for your opinion.

Eventually in time you grow out of it.

But if it starts being a problem and you can't make friends or perform at work, then you should see someone.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes its common, but you can work to fix it, it doesn't have to be this way.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes