At what age did your parents give you a copy of their key to have to go into the house?

I am pretty old and my parents refuse to give me a key to their house

so I feel as if that adds to the poor relationship I have with them already.

they do not trust me with a house key

yet ask me to help pay their bills and gas etc.

How would you feel if your parents never gave you a house key because they accuse you of losing things too often?

yet they complain if you come in after dark that they have to wake up to open the door?

I honestly never want to be home because I don't agree with other things they claim about myself either

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Probably like 9 or 10. My mom wasn't always off work yet by the time I got home from school [whether I took the bus or walked with someone], so it became necessary. I've had at least one key for each different lock [my mom's house now needs a different key for both sets of doorknobs AND deadbolts] everywhere we've lived since then. I probably still will even when I don't live there, like I still did for the like 8 months I lived with my ex in our own place. I'm back with mom for the moment though, so of course I have keys.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I was given a copy of the house key at age 9 (I walked home from school alone by that age)...so I was always used to having one.

It's peculiar that your parents are so unwilling to give you a key. Did you have a hard time keeping up with things when you were a kid and a young teen?

0|0
    0|0
  • lol I really can't remember but I remember being like 12 and locking myself out of the house.. I had to wait like 2 hours outside until my mom came home, so I slept on the front steps, she was pissed at me however

0|0
    0|0
  • I was given it in elementary school because usually I was home before them so I needed to be able to get in. I think I was in 4th grade so I was about 9 or 10.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was given the house key and told to go make a copy at Walmart, about 9th grade. I didn't listen, I went to Lowe's.

0|0
    0|0
  • My parents gave me the key when I was 10.

Even now, I have a copy of their house key. I don't use it - I never have it on me. I just knock.

0|0
    0|0
  • When I went secondary school they gave me a key. I think I was about 11

0|0
    0|0
  • I've had one for a while, I can't remember exactly I think I was around 12

0|0
    0|0
  • I was almost 9

0|0
    0|0
  • I think I've had one since age 11.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was about 8. I never understood what the big deal was about having a key to your own home.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was 13-14 years old.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes