What do you think of the group Anonymous?

So its a whole vigilante community of internet hackers that bring down corporate websites, protest wrong doings, and in general are do gooders in their own way. What do you guys think of em? Criminals? Heroes?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I respect what they do as people do not take cyber security nearly as seriously as it needs to be taken... not even the government.

As long as they don't turn to stealing/identity theft/serious crimes, I don't really have a problem with them, but there is a bit of fear that they could go rogue at any time. I just wish they were given more credibility to fix the wrongs that they point out, because then there wouldn't be a need for them anymore, and they wouldn't possess the power that they do.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• The potential to be loose cannons, but I honestly say I do admire their style. They aren't self-proclaimed "heroes" and know what they do is less than moral. However I feel that it's somewhat similar to a mob of people taking weapons to the capital after things reach a breaking point. At some point the bureaucracy only leads to more trouble, compounding problems, and the like.

Admittedly some of it is like a fantasy admiration, but I still have a realistic view of them and think that they've obviously had some effect on the world, at least in our country that I've read about.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah... I agree with you there. Like recently, just a few hours ago, Anonymous hunted down the man that was the provoker and instigator to the demise of Amanda Todd. The guy that took the pictures, if you know the story. They did something the government couldn't do or wouldn't do. I admire them for that.

• Yeah, I usually find vigilante justice to be very unreliable and just useless. But oddly enough, it seems the group goes after organizations that feel they are otherwise behind the "iron curtain" so to speak. And for that, it's actually admirable.

• Anonymous is just an idea specifically it is the idea that all of us deserve freedom freedom of speech, knowledge, thought, etc. the freedom to determine the course and destination of our own lives.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think its a waste of everybody's time. If they are so talented that they can take down corporate websites, why wouldn't they be using their skills to get a good job, or help out somehow?

0|0
    0|0
  • That's not a good description of Anonymous.

Anonymous is totally amoral. Yes, they'll go after corporations. They also went after Jesse Slaughter, a dumb 12 year old girl who stupidly got on their wrong side.

They go after pedos who have the misfortune to float across their radar, but they post child p*rnography to the /b/ random 4chan group.

They are not do-gooders. They do what they do for the lulz.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's pretty cool. They take up stuff that no one really wants to mess with and get away with it. Definitely more good than bad.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes