I get negative vibes from old architecture or old objects. Is it normal?

I get negative vibes from old architecture or old objects.Is it normal?

like I always prefer modern architecture.I can never ever live in an old style house or a castle or something like that.but I love a modern house with top of the line technology available.also ancient artifacts,sculptures give me this boring/negative kind of a feeling.Am I the only one who feels like that or there are others who feel alike?

Also,if given a chance I would never ever want to go back in time(even if it was glorious and royal) but rather in the future.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Without knowing you on a more personal level I can't say why you feel so strongly for it but all design and architecture is meant to invoke feelings and "vibes". It is up to you to decides what feeling it invokes inside you. That said I do not necessarily think this is what influence you since you say the future will be better or just as good when in reality design and architecture is always changing.

Right now we are in an age of minimalism where we want simple and practical designs with allot of light and only a handful of colors. It gives the feeling of being clean and efficient. This however will most likely change even in your own lifetime and you will probably change with it.

0|4
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• This isn't unusual in the stoner and I-phone culture of US teenagers. It just shows how out of touch with reality they are, as if history didn't exist and the past had no value or interest.

1|3
    2|1
    • neither I smoke nor I use an iphone.I just hate it when people make false assumptions.

I am not uninterested in history and the past does hold value in my life.its just that I don't like a historical living environment

• Sorry, but the culture of US teenagers is still stoner and I phone, even if you individually aren't doing either of those things. Just like our overall USculture is apple pie evenif you don't eat apple pie.

• Actually, there are those of us that aren't like that at all. Our problem with the young, youthful culture in the US is partially due to the educational system. Teachers are typically bias, they assume girls with big boobs are sluts so they don't give them the assistance they need when sexually harassed in school, help them when they have difficulty with their school work, and so on. That and parents aren't choosing to raise their children. Those are just a few of many problems here.

• Who gives a sh*t about 'normal', everyone is different but they hide who they are to fit in lol.

I'm not a big fan of some old stuff, but love the medieval ages.

0|2
    0|0
  • no,

i think you're being closed minded.

it's easy to write off anything old as boring and passe...

but "all that is old was once new" you have to look at these things with fresh eyes, forget their age and imagine how they have would looked to someone when they were new and fresh eg imagine how a gothic church would look to someone who'd never seen a flying butress or a gargoyle before.

then you'll see their orignality and daring, as they really were when they were new.

0|1
    0|0
  • I get what you are saying. I do not like getting old furniture or anything that's too old because I feel like it carries negative energy with it. I;m with you on that but I would not like to go to the future I would like to go to the past just because I think everything in the past was better then the way things are now. I love 90s movies and music. The future seems a little bit lost for me seeing the way young people carry themselves. But yeah the way you feel is normal.

0|2
    0|0
  • Maybe you have some sort of trauma related to old things... you might be afraid of look old, to be ancient, do you have the same feeling towards old people?

most people like old architecture, however the movies with scary castles tend to be in old gottic architecture and so on...interesting

0|1
    0|0
    • no I haven't had any trauma related to old things...and I don't feel the same about old people.

another thing...I would hate to live in Europe especially rome and other cities but would love sydney or new york or L.A

• Show All
    • You would hate to live in Europe especially Rome? You don't know how much you're missing. I stayed here four months, in the old center of the city: link ( Via del babuino Roma-Baboon Street-LOL)

I'll go back there at the first occasion.

• @jacquesvol that's exactly the kind of a place I won't live in...i mean 10 days or so is fine but not for a long time

• Many Modernists felt the same way. I don't know why you'd get a BAD vibe from it. Even if you were Clairvoyant you'd get a range of vibes from it, anything ancient is usually filled with some degree of majesty considering how much it's seen. Maybe you've got a phobia of old things? I did a little google search for 'Phobia of Old Things', though there doesn't seem to be a clinical name for it there are a lot of people describing the same thing you've got, except they're a little afraid or uneasy, rather than just bad vibes. Perhaps, whatever agency is behind their phobia is behind their discomfort?

0|2
    0|0
    • i don't think so its phobia since I ain't afraid about these things...Its just that I get a bad vibe from it

• I know. I SAID it wasn't the phobia. I'm saying there could be some connection, some psychological mechanism, that you share with the people with the phobia which is triggered by old things, despite your trigger not being fear.

• I love a modern house and would never buy an antique one but I stayed in some real antique ones in Turkey, Spain, Italy and France and it can be thrilling to live in a place you know to have been inhabited 400 or 500 years ago. Even more so if it has been built by a well known architect. I'm thinking about the hotel in Firenze, bearing Ammanati's name ( link ) on a bronze plaque. The building is massive with staircases large enough for a man on a horse and the rooms are immense too, with walls more than one ft thick, high ceilings. It looks like this: link

In Edirne, Turkey we stayed in an authentic kerwanserai, converted into a hotel. Little rooms with domes on them, around an interior garden.

This is one in Bursa, 50 km more to the east, no garden, just the interior space where in old times the camels and the merchandise was kept in safety, the merchants sleeping in the domed rooms too keep everything under control.: link . Here's a similar one: link .

I have a few other souvenirs of that kind. In Paris we stayed in one of these houses, on an island in the middle of the Seine river: link

The apartment I live in is modern, anno 2000 of course. :-)

0|0
    0|0
  • I understand how you feel, though I wouldn't mind visiting or staying on vacation at an old home, I wouldn't want to live in it for a long period of time. It's eerie, though full of history, and I feel like it's more likely to be haunted if anything else haha.

I don't think that Ancient artifacts or sculptures should be boring or negative but everyone has their own preferences. Not everyone is an advocate of history or ancient marvels.

I don't think it's normal but it's not abnormal.

0|1
    0|0
  • that's just a preference, I don't see a problem with that.

I am actually the same way.

my fiance and myself would both like a more modern house when we do live together after we're married.

I never really wanted to live in an old house, because of the history and just because it doesn't feel like a fresh start to me anyways.

0|1
    0|0
  • I too prefer modern things. Yes, they're soulless. But, depending on the soul in an old building, that can be a good thing. On top of that, the modern stuff tends to be easier to clean. Old stuff is always full of dust and mold.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's all a matter of taste. I myself am very diverse with my artistic likings. Music, on the other hand, I'll listen to the 70s, 80s, and 90s, but nothing after 2000, unless Weird Al Yankovic counts.

0|1
    0|0
  • Interesting question. I definitely do like modern architecture. Given the chioce between going back in time or to the future, I would pick future because no one knows what's the future holds in store vs the past where we have studied that and its boring to me.

0|0
    0|1
  • Interesting. I find modern architecture extremely ugly in most cases.

2|4
    0|0
  • I think some of the coolest things are buried in mankind's cultural history. Things like ancient Chinese bells, intricately designed snuff bottles, old taiko drums, mayan glyphs, etc. It's cool to look at the creativity of different ages.

0|0
    0|0
  • E.S.P.you should try to control it better. Remember, every person who has ever lived and died is still roaming this planet until the final day of judgment. I also get those "vibes" when I go out in forest or walking in the woods. The town I live in is one of the oldest in the country so there's lots of old buildings from the late 1800's. I like that old stuff. The spirits don't bother me, they used to mess with me, but not anymore,

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel the same way. I know that for me it started after my mom bought an antique dining room set. Once brought into the house, all hell broke loose. Whether or not you believe in spirits, I will *never* purchase an antique without knowing where it came from.

0|0
    0|0
  • Think about it. What does today's culture really think about any, scratch that, all of the older buildings, lifestyles, furniture, tooth brushes, whatever. Now, try to think of everything old that were around with your parents as you can. Now you gotta realize that we are taught that nearly everything older than the current things are faulty, weaker, ineffective, dysfunctional (even though it actually works properly), and so on. Now, compare what you parents had with what is around today.

We are taught that if it's newer, it must be better, so when logic starts working we start thinking the opposite of the word better with older things.

Same goes for mysterious objects. If we are taught that if we don't know what it is, we shouldn't be touching it.

Like most people, you are not picking up any sort form of vibes, or negative energy. It's just your subconscious kicking in.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know...I love vintage and antiques. lol To me the future is far more daunting.

0|2
    0|0
  • Childhood connection of Older things and negative emotions.

0|0
    0|0
  • maybe your third eye is open. or you might be clairvoyant. don't worry I am like that too

0|1
    0|0
  • That's all in your head.

2|2
    3|2
  • My house is 88 years old.

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes totally same opinions I have

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, this means in a past life, you were an Ikea store manager.

Just kidding. You like a certain era of design and find the others to be less appealing. I like Bahaus more than Baroque. Modern isn't that exciting but at least it's not the Arts and Crafts cloying folksiness.

Of course as a dude I must urge you to watch Fight Club a few more times, examine the scenes where he's talking about his apartment, and see if you might be Tyler Durdin.

1|0
    0|0
  • for me combo of classical and modern designs look better. like uhm... ya know many luxurious and fancy houses in a high-classed residences look great in their modern-classical designs.

just like music.. I like classic-modern music. that is why I love anime background music.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't like old things either. it's just ugly to me. Old houses, cars, technology, toys, videogames, music, movies, etc.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm the exact opposite.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes