A brave new world or 1984 if you prefer?

do we live in the dystopia a brave aldous huxley and george orwell describe.

i think being pc is a form of new speak by taking emotions out of language

severely mentally disabled = retard

promiscuous women = slut

childless father = bastard

the list goes on

also we have a bigger government then before

instead of three nations constantly fighting to keep our attentions off of government they give us consumer good and fluff entertainment

and everything you do in public (in cities anyways) is subject to being filmed with all the new technology

05

Most Helpful Guy

• Huxley's book is more possible than 1984. In fact, Huxley said that what he had anticipated in Brave New World was happening faster than he had previously anticipated. I think you can apply more government control and intervention into how things are run today. In Brave New World., being alone was frowned upon, sexually promiscuity was rampant, whenever someone was unhappy they were given soma, knowledge past what was deemed necessary for the individual was cut off from society, love and pain were non-existent, and there was a desensitization to death, etc.

Look at the news, being in pain and suffering in life ALWAYS needs to be corrected. As if life should always be happy and wonderful. Whenever something bad happens, we always need to intervene and console each other, to take away that pain. Sexual promiscuity is quite rampant in today's world, as young teenagers are having premarital sex, television shows like the Jersey Shore are glorifying the act of "getting it in." Soma is a metaphor for how we like to systematically control everything to the extent to which we can achieve the highest comfort level. The omission of certain issues and the bias of information in textbooks in the school system, to the point where people are now misinformed and are walking through life with only half the true story. An increasing number of people who no longer believe in the sanctity of marriage, and who instead prefer to have numerous one night stands and short term partners. Kids are desensitized to death, they kill each other for fun in video games, and war movies, books, war paraphernalia, are spread out amongst the men so that they can have more courage on the battlefield. (This is a common tactic that the US and other countries have done to enlist more soldiers) The dumbing down of America, relying on the mainstream media to feed them information, as biased and flawed as it may be.

I think Huxley was right.