Why does he say he loves me and then treats me like garbage?

I have been with my boyfriend for about 7 months. Throughout our entire relationship it seems that he has a lot of trouble following through with everything he says. I am getting to the point of frustration with him. Most of the time he makes a promise that he will take me out to a movie or he will come over just to spend some time with me. I understand that things come up in life although it seems that this happens more often than not. I feel neglected by him a lot lately. We have not spent hardly any time together in about 2 weeks. He has had 6 days off since we spent that day together. In fact he was off yesterday and the day before. He is off today but he is apparently getting ready for this weekend. Him and his parents are going out of town for the weekend to go to one of his cousin's quincineras. Which I have known about for a couple months now. I just don't understand why it takes him 3 whole entire days just to pack for a 3 day trip. I could do that in a couple of hours. He isn't leaving the state we are in. In fact he is only going to be about 4 hours away. He keeps making up excuses about why he cannot spend any time with me. I have tried talking to him about it and all he ever says is that he "tries" his best to make time for me. We had gotten into a fight on the phone about it the other night and he started crying and saying that he loves me and he just wants me to be happy. That he would die for me. Those things would mean so much more if he just followed through with his promises. It seems to me that those were just crocodile tears and he was only saying what he thought I wanted to hear. I always bend over backwards and jump through hoops for him. I am always doing little things for him like picking him up from work, and bringing him lunch, I made cupcakes for him on his birthday. He didn't even get me anything for my birthday or even remember when it was. One thing I don't understand is that he tells me all the time that he loves me but yet he treats me the way he does and ignores me. Does he really love me? Or is he just stringing me along?

33

Most Helpful Girl

• wow. this is like, exactly the situation I am in. my boyfriend constantly flakes on plans, often times he cancels on me to hang out with his guy friends. I don't mind him hanging out with them instead of me but it bothers me that he has concrete plans with me first, then cancels for them.

i think the responses here are right, and it's a lot easier to agree with them now that I'm reading it from an outside view. I'm going to take their advice as well and let my boyfriend know that if I am not that important to him, then I don't need to waste my time.

i don't think guys need to always make their girlfriend their priority, but they do need to SOMETIMES. remember that if you are putting in way more than you are getting, as much as it hurts, you deserve better!

best of luck.