Do you care about politics?

Why or why not? Do you think it is important for young people to express interest in politics?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel like I should, but I really don't. I think I probably would more if I were American as issues like gay marriage and abortion (which ironically neither directly affect me) which I feel very strongly about are still being debated. In Canada they're more or less non issues.

There still are issues up here that I care about: economy, government spending, health care, etc. But for the most part I don't have answers to them. I usually try to read up on the major parties, leaders, and local representatives, and I do try to vote. But it really doesn't interest me, and I find it often a chore.

I feel I should care a lot more, but I really don't, I'm quite cynical towards it. That's as far as government elections are concerned. With regards to political science, I have almost no time for.

1|0
    0|0
    • "In Canada they're more or less non issues." And look how well canada is doing right now. One of the most fiscally sound countries in the world. Because they don't waste time on stupid sh*t like this that really doesn't matter and will never change anyway.

• I understand the cynicysm too...less idealistic now...seems like Canada's doing well in the healthcare arena... =)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Yes. I try to keep updated with all aspects of American politics, and I educated myself in political parties and philosophies when I was 14 years old. But I was more interested in politics 4 years ago, during the 2008 elections. It was such a revolutionary election--the first election to implement from social media use, first female VP candidate in the two major parties, first African American presidential candidate, the involvement of TV, etc. There was just this incredible momentum that pulled me in. CNN's Election 2008 page was my browser homepage for about 8 months. I would follow each debate closely, take notes. I followed vloggers on Youtube, even.

As for this election, it's not as exciting. There's much more tension in the atmosphere. Even with the greater involvement of social media (so many news/media outlets use Twitter to analyze debates--very fascinating), it hasn't pulled me in as much as 2008. Perhaps it's because I'm so busy with life and college, but... it's just not as fun.

I do think it's important for young people to become involved in politics. This may sound very cliche, but who we elect can change our lives. Apathy will only bring misery. If people elect to not participate in politics, the entire democratic system will fall apart.

Also, I've noticed that my friends are becoming more interested in politics, especially because most of them are of voting age now. Many of my friends follow the debates, too. It gives me hope.

1|0
    0|0
    • " Apathy will only bring misery." I wish more people realized this.

• You are very mature for your age! Yes, I was more excited about the 2008 election too. I think it's because it had so much potential. In some ways, I've lost a bit of my idealism regarding politics. I guess it's best to start with practicality. I'm glad to hear your friends are following the campaigns...makes me hopeful too! =)

• I care a bit. I think certain issues get to me more than others but as a whole I'm not a fan of arguing politics.

It's important for young people to be aware of politics just so they see how their lives are affected by it, but expressing interest is up to the individual.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks for your answer Dan. I agree that it's important to be aware and I would only hope that they would carry it a bit further...

• I do care. I care so much that I'm pissed off constantly that the "misinformed majority" continues to decide our future. And they don't even realize it. They are too prideful to admit it.

It's really frustrating having to fight an uphill battle every time I try to explain why the ship is sinking. It's mob rule, and the mob is brainwashed, arrogant, and stubborn.

1|0
    0|0
    • Spot on. My thoughts exactly. We're letting the blind dog lead the pack. Why do you think all the most successful, wealthy, and smart people seemed to side with one side and the rest with another? For those who are informed, this is a no brainer because you cannot lie to those who fully understand the underlying issue.

• lol they might have the same opinion towards your thoughts! =) (who is to say we are right versus them) No, but I'm just teasing...

• The proof is in the pudding...

• In the conventional sense, not so much. I have an opinion in Obama v. Romney, but I will support whichever Executive is elected. I have an interest in politics as a whole - Congress and the Supreme Court in addition to the Executive. I care about how the country is run and where she is going. I must admit I'm more interested in the Fisher case than Obama v. Romney.

1|0
    0|0
    • Two things: I like how you referred to our country as "she." :) and what is the fisher case? Excuse my na?vet?!

• Show All
    • Ohhh! I think I saw something about a girl protesting not getting in recently based on her race...didn't know that was this. Thank you! :)

• Yeah, it's pretty big! They may very well overturn the previous cases where race was upheld. I'm excited.

• No, I don't really care that much. I feel like it's too... I don't know, hard to change. Nothing changes, no lessons are learned. I'm not really eagerly watching the elections either.

Sad thing is, I'm a political science major at Uni, so I should be telling you all to care, lol.

1|0
    0|0
    • Awww! I'm sorry it's frustrating to ya! I know what you mean but imagine if everyone had the same mindset (that they couldn't change things)...get your voice out and be heard! :)

• Of course.

There's no avoiding it. It's in everything we do; so trying to ignore it, or being apathetic about it, isn't going to help anyone, yourself included.

1|1
    1|0
  • It depends, generally I care a lot about it.

It depends on how I feel about the candidates and how important the particular election is. This one is extremely important. The collapse of our economy more or less rides upon it, even though most people are not aware of that fact.

I also hate Obama more than any president I've seen in my life time. He is bar far one of the worst we've ever had. To put it simply, I have a background in finance. I am securities licensed, insurance licensed, and am a CFP (certified financial planner). I also read many articles and white papers, relating to economics that most people never get their hands on, as well as speak to the top minds in the industry. Given my background and knowledge base, I'm well aware of Obama's incompetence when it comes to the economy.

I'm a financial advisor and run a family practice with my father. If the economy does bad, we literally will lose business. So the health of my company relies on this election. Obama getting elected again could quite literally destroy my business, so needless to say I feel very very strongly about this election.

0|0
    0|0
    • But what is the income of your business? If you make less than 250 thousand, you should be okay...

• Show All
    • But don't you agree that blaming one person is not the best tactic? He doesn't singlehandedly determine the course of the market...a lot of it is out of one"s control...

• Not single-handedly, this is true, but the president still actually has quite a large influence on the economy. The reason is because they can institute policies that directly effect the economy, like new regulations, tax codes, entitlement programs, budgeting, bailouts/stimulus, quantitative easing, issuance of bonds, etc. These all have major effects on the economy and the president has a hand in all of these.

• Nope, almost not at all. Politics is actually the only thing that I refuse to discuss with people; most of the time it's one of those things where the conversation ends exactly where it began, points are hardly agreed upon, and people are too concerned with trying to get their own opinion across that their appreciation for what others have to say is little if not non-existent. I'm not saying that goes for all people who like to talk about politics, just the ones where I'm from.

As well, I've always found it incredibly bromidic. For whatever reason, it just doesn't spike my interest whatsoever; I'd rather watch paint dry.

1|1
    0|0
    • Hmmm I'll have to look up "bromidic!" Yes, I don't talk about it to the opposing side much either...can get very strained and awkward!

• I'm pretty interested in politics I don't know all the facts but I have general knowledge about what I need to know when I go out and vote.

1|0
    0|0
  • In some regards yes, in others not so much. In relation to branches of government, by obvious interest lies in the judicature as a law student. I'm Australian, and for the most part we don't take our politics anywhere near as seriously or vehemently as in the US. I care about pressing issues and such, but who the Prime Minister is is of little consequence to me. For the most part, there isn't much difference between main parties.

I think it's important to have at least a basic knowledge of current issues and points of debate, but I also think others take it far too seriously with far too little understanding. My interest is as deep as my knowledge - there, but not extensive. That's kinda how I like it.

1|0
    0|0
    • Interesting to hear that politics is not a big issue there...do you think that's true for you and your friends or the majority? Just curious...

• The majority, especially with younger people. The political advertising and involvement of society is truly surprising to me. I'm in the US now and it's so interesting to see the difference.

• Cool! Glad to hear you think young people here care!

• I do, I've been watching the debates and that's appropriate in my opinion.

I'm 17 and though I won't have the opportunity to vote this election year I'm of an age where I should start to gain knowledge of politics so I won't have to 'cram' a lot of this information next time, which would be terrible.

I think it's important but even more important for a young person to find their own voice and opinion not just follow what elders may think. Also, people should inquire and find out not just accept whatever a particular candidate says would be best.

1|0
    0|0
    • Love your answer! Shows you think independently! I wish you could vote this time!

• Show All
    • I wish I could too. A mock election is being held at my high school so that will serve as practice :)

and yes, we can't act as sheep. We need to research and find our voice and speak our opinions.

• Cool! Good for you chica! =)

• I do yes...actually hopefully one day I can be a Mayor or even a President

2|0
    0|0
  • some issues in particular... politics gives me a headache.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is important, we need to elect the right people to represent us for positive advancement. The fact that people don't educate themselves about candidates that they vote for, have no right to complain when things don't get done. I am very bipartistan about a lot of things but I always ensure I know the facts about someone before casting my vote. The current President wasn't left a perfect situation to walk into, but he did have 4 years to fix that and hasn't. Obama cannot run on his record since he promised to cut the deficit in half while adding a trillion a year to it and getting unemployment down and there are still 23 million out of work. I am not on board with Romney about everything he stands for as a person, this includes religiously, but he is a proven businessman. I looked at what he did for the Olympic Games, companies like Staples and for the state of Massachusetts. Romney will have my vote next month as we cannot have 4 more years of spending with no progress.

0|0
    0|0
    • Well, all I can say is that I respect your being interested in politics...

• A guy who makes logical sense for once. Yes Romney ain't perfect, but how can honeslty any sane person claim that the last 4 years have been good? I'm mean seriously, you want 4 more years of what we just had. People are stupid.

• a little, but I know hardly anything about it

1|0
    0|0
    • At least you admit it, instead of acting like you do by reciting baseless rhetoric that can be found in political ads.

• I'm sure that's common though...some of the stuff discussed is very complicated!

• Yes ma'am :P

1|1
    0|0
    • Good girl! I think it really matters! Shouldn't be taken for granted! :)

• It is frustrating to watch the corruption and the money thrown in the mix. But there are still honest political out there. Not many but a few. Besides if we don't get involved then it will be the demise of the democracy as we know it.

• Exactly! Good way of phrasing it azizam! Lol

• I understand the basics and sides of a lot of issues, and I have my own opinions. But I hate watching/listening to shows about politics. All politicians lie and spend more time trying to make the others look bad then saying what they'll do right, so I don't care to listen to them.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, the rhetoric is a bit much sometimes. But I think it's worse to not be involved at all because they decide our future...

• Yes, we live in a political world. Everyone has values, interests, biases, agendas. It's important to care about and understand politics if one wants to improve life or make a difference.

1|0
    0|0
  • I care about what they are doing, but don't feel like my voice will ever be heard among the masses.

1|0
    0|0
    • Love this answer! Sums it up nicely! =) I'm sure your voice is more powerful than you realize. Even a whisper in an auditorum is heard by someone!

Recommended myTakes