Is it possible to be 50-150lbs overweight and be healthy?

Do you think it's possible for a person, particularly a woman, who is not muscular or athletic, to be anywhere from 50lbs-150lbs overweight for their height and frame and be healthy?

Do you think its malarky when someone that overweight claims to eat healthy and exercise

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Weight doesn't account for muscle. Now you've said 'not muscular' - clearly someone can be heavy and healthy.

But you're saying not muscular, and overweight.

I'm going to say 150 lbs, no chance.

50 lbs, maybe, if she's pear shaped.

Very few overweight people have good cardiovascular health, but some do.

But belly fat in and around the internal organs is bad. So men, apple shaped women with a lot of fat around those organs, its going to cause problems. Pear shaped women can get away with a little more fat on thighs/ass without the fat itself causing negative health impacts.

There's also going to be increased strain on joints and heart as the godfather noted.

For men, the fat will also significantly depress testosterone levels.

This is all based on the theoretical 'fat but truly cardiovascular-fit' person. They exist, but a huge portion of people on the internet claim to fall into this category. Some are telling the truth, most are dreaming.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• A friend of mine was 50+ pounds overweight. She had very good blood pressure & her cholesterol was good. The problem is with the strain on your joints & heart. That will catch up to you. How far can you run or even walk before your out of breath?

1|0
    0|0
    • This isn't about me

I'm only 115

• OK then

The problem is with the strain on her/his joints & heart. That will catch up to them. How far can they run or even walk before they are out of breath?

• No and yes! No possible way such a person eats 'healthy.' Too much is never healthy! I see question here all the time claiming they are in this situation..I don't bother to answer. Someone that far in denial is not going to listen to anyone's advice, so why bother?

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Being overweight only increases risk of unhealthy conditions, it's not an unhealthy condition itself. A lot of the public merely assumes that is the case. I've know guys 70+ pounds overweight with low blood pressure, resting heartrates in the 50s, and could run and finish marathons.

0|0
    0|0
    • everyone on the internet claims that, yet I've never seen a fat person at a marathon nor do I ever see them working out

• My old man runs marathons, he introduced me to one of his coworkers who runs in them with him, and yeah he was fat. Mind you he didn't break any records, but he finished the ones he ran in.

In just about every gym I've been to for the past 20+ years, I've seen fat people working out. The problem is 99% of them are doing workouts that are a joke. Really, dude, curling with a 5lb weight lol.

• Someone might be that heavy and exercise but their diet is misguided. I'd be hard pressed to find someone who worked out on a regular basis and ate the correct portion sizes who was also significantly overweight.

That much extra weight is harmful to every organ and system in your body and WILL impact your health later on.

0|0
    0|0
  • I call malarky on that. As you described, a lady 50-100 pounds overweight who isn't muscular or athletic, though pleasant as she may be, should not be claiming to be healthy in her current state. Talk is cheap.

Though it may be worthy to note that she may be taking steps and just started eating healthy/exercising. It depends on the character of this woman - if she's honest and hardworking then she should be trusted.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. It will lead to a short life. 5 pounds is close enough. 10. Too much, time to do something about it.

And yes, it is malarkey if they claim to be a health nut. its a life long process day and night constant watch exercise so it is a bad sign something is a lie deep within. I see people claim to be vegetarians, and they are ill. I see people who don't eat, and they are slobs and have never held a job down. I see hoarders who eat irregularly and it all ties together. Bad habits.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. Being over weight deosnt mean you unhelathy is just means you have a higher risk of being unhealthy and suffering from thos symtoms. Anorexic people aren't healthy. I'm 130lb and I'm not super healthy. Being overweight isn't typically healthy but there exception to every rule.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, you can't be obese and healthy.

That means you are way too f***ing fat. You blood lipids / cholesterol / etc. is probably off the charts. This creates all sort of problems.

You can certainly be *less* unhealthy than others fat people, but being fat in and of itself is a result of metabolic imbalance.

0|0
    0|0
  • The term "overweight" imo means that you are basing that on BMI, which is outdated about 50 yrs, and doesn't acct for various bodytypes.

Bodyfat % is a WAY better measure for level of overall physical health. 8-)

0|0
    0|0
  • Health is made up of physical, emotional/mental, and social aspects. Obviously she would be lacking in the physical department, but subcutaneous fat doesn't necessarily mean someone's body isn't functioning properly.

0|0
    0|0
  • not at all...50 punds overweight? That is overboard.

people that are muscular, are usually above 15 pounds above the limit. But 50? That is waaay too much.

0|1
    1|0
  • 50lbs over weight is kind of a long shot off from being a healthy weight... 0-30 lbs is more like it and being on the 30lbs end is like if you are eating for two.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe, it depends on the person... I wouldn't go to the 150 range, but a tall person likely a male (6 feet plus) could carry 50 pounds of extra weight and still be very healthy. They could be flexible, they could run regularly and have a good cardiovascular system, and have no underlying health issues. BMI doesn't suit all body shapes perfectly or account for muscle mass.

Women are typically shorter and have smaller frames, so 50 pounds is larger percentage of their overall body weight. That's a lot more weight proportional to their lean body mass so it's unlikely they would be healthy. I'd say with that much weight on a smaller frame, they are likely facing risks of heart disease and diabetes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Healthy, smealthy! The answer is: NOPE! (Flame on ! I am telling the truth!)

That's the truth and I am going to tell my truth from now on:

OK, I used to be so depressed that I turned to food for comfort. As a result I gained 150 pounds. I was in your shoes!

Years ago, I fell in love and one day, I saw my self in a mirror and said: " SHE AIN'T GOT THAT!? I love her too much for not to giving her the best I can give her so I lost 150 pound and work out.

The moral of the story is, if you truly care about someone, you'll be the best you can be and that includes you being in the best physical shape you can manage (you girls have it easy! As long you are skinny you are good but us guys, we have to be BUFF, on top of that!). Otherwise, that's a sign you are not into th guy. Loose him!

0|0
    0|0
  • 50, yeah.

150,nah

Overweight doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy, unless you have so much fat that it is squeezing your organs.

It's not that being 50 pounds overweight causes health problems. Its that being 50 lbs overweight is a sign that you neglect your health, and often it is.

If someone is that overweight, there is no doubt that they don't exercise enough and that they eat too many calories.

But it's also perfectly possible that their diet has a lot of protein, fiber, nutrients, etc. and all the fat in their diet comes from healthy sources instead of excessive sugar and processed foods.

0|0
    0|0
  • A beautiful woman can be beautiful at any weight, though not necessarily healthy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, very much. It just depends on if they do enough cardio

0|0
    0|0
  • 50, yes. 150? No.

1|0
    0|0
  • No.

0|0
    0|0
  • 50 possibly, 150 I don't think so.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes

0|0
    0|0
  • If you're not very muscular I would be a bit surprised.

However, just because someone is overweight by the BMI standards does not mean you are necessarily fat.

Not only does BMI not take into account muscle (which weighs more than fat) but BMI was created back in WW2. Now, I don't know if anyone on here has thought about this but, people back then had ration books. And you know what that means? NO BLOODY FOOD. People had to be thinner back then, they had no choice! I'm not saying this is an excuse for people to get fat, but, the BMI NEEDS to be updated.

There is more food available.

We are pushed into healthier living, so most of us are at gyms and guess what there is at gyms? WEIGHT TRAINING.

So you know what? People's weight is going to go up because MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT.

People who sit and say oh it's bad to be 2 pounds overweight the BMI is law blah blah blah are slaves to the rulebook. I imagine these are the people who read a cooking instruction the packet, follows it to the letter and eats it regardless whether it's cooked or not because THE PACKET SAID 20MINUTES ON THE DOT.

BMI is a guidleline more than anything. If you are 50 pounds overweight but you look good, you feel good, then go with it girl! If you read what gives you cancer it includes things like "drinking too much water" and "not drinking enough water", along with a personal favorite "breathing oxygen gives you cancer" Don't get over the top fat, obviously, but don't become a slave to the outdated BMI. Live healthy and you'll be fine.

Sorry for being on a rant about this, but people who slam others for not being BMI perfect drive me round the bend. Use your brain, times have changed, people have changed, food supplies have changed, muscle training has changed, life has changed. If you are going to insist that BMI is foolproof law, then I suggest you replace your car with a horse and cart. You seem insistent on living in the past. (Of course, this not focuses on you, it's focussed to most of the people up there ^^ )

0|1
    0|0
    • But someone who is say, 5'1, 250 lbs...it's not unreasonable to say they're overweight for their height and frame

• Show All
    • the 5'1, 250lb girl, probably has a bodyfat % around 35-40%.

Bodyfat % is more accurate than BMI; too bad bodyfat % is harder to calculate.

• Absolutely, completely agree that it's harder, but essentially it is the more important thing. People who are muscled end up making themselves underweight because of BMI (by which I mean, if they didn't have the muscle, they would be underweight). I wish people just bear it in mind and not blindly follow it like sheeps.

• I am overweight but I eat healthy and exercise regularly, my doctor even says I am healthy. The weight gain happened due to a medical emergency that involved medicine that made me pack on the pounds but I am still overweight now but all my levels are normal and healthy and I jog daily. I am about 60lbs overweight for my height.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am +50. Mostly yes but the added weight and size wears me out. I'd feel 15 years younger if I shed the bulk.

0|0
    0|0
  • Malarky is as good a word as any for that claim.

1|1
    0|0
  • You can be big and eat healthy, which leads to a healthier lifestyle, which might also make you lose weight.

0|0
    0|0
  • no that isn't healthy

0|0
    0|0
  • How are you defining healthy weight?

0|0
    0|0
    • Are we talking about BMI?

• Weight that is appropriate for the height

You can go by BMI, as it is pretty accurate. That's not to say there aren't exceptions, but I think we all know when someone is within a reasonable weight range and when they aren't

• BMI is inaccurate if there's a lot of muscle, but she ruled it out in the question.

Recommended myTakes