Why are prescription drugs illegal?

Why can't they be sold in bottles like advil

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Cuzz it keeps the doctors and drug companies fat and happy, and the government even fatter and happier stealing the proceeds from the illegal drug trade. Everyone wins but us...what else is new?

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• This commercial puts out a great point, although the product is for something that tums would probably cure

https://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=5m_ocIvUI24

Simply put, prescription drugs are powerful, they are designed for a specific purpose, and are dangerous/deadly if used for a different purpose.

0|1
    0|0
    • Deadly yes, so is nicotine and alcohol. Why should that matter, if people still die from taking pills even with doctors consent.

• Mostly because they have a high potential for addiction/abuse and it is VERY easy to overdose on some of these medications, which is why they require you to see a doctor first so they can explain to you in person the importance of only taking the prescribed dosage.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have sh*t load of that stuff like fentanyl patches 25 and 50, oxycontin 20, boxes and boxes of oxycodone 5 and 10 at home left from my wife's and sister's cancers I do not use them so you people remind me to take them back to the chemist for safe disposal

0|1
    0|0
  • Because they're extremely addictive and a sh*tload of money would be lost

Do you understand how much some people are willing to pay for certains pills like Hydrocodone, Oxycontin, Oxycodone and Adderall?

0|1
    0|0
    • How would they lose money if they can sell them in stores ?

• Show All
    • If marijuana was legal it would only cost a fraction of what it does now. A huge percentage of the price of cannabis is tied up in smuggling costs and a lack of production efficiency (grows have to be relatively small to avoid police attention, which is inefficient).

• Laws regarding prescription drugs are different from country to country but the general idea is that the problems they are against usually requires care from a health care professional and they have a relative low safety standard meaning you have to have professional supervision (deciding doses and all that)

1|0
    0|0
    • Its true that laws vary but, even with the problem of dosing they already do that with over the counter drugs, which are on the bottle so that shouldn't be a issue.

• Show All
    • Because I like pain killers and its a hassle to find people and get them from them..

• if you need them why don't you just get a prescription. If you don't need however I would strongly suggest that you do not consume prescription painkillers. Those are pretty nasty.

• You're either an addict, a troll or need to go to school on a more regular basis.

2|0
    0|1
    • Not trolling and not addicted and I have my BA in Network admin and security, so I don't think I need any more school kid.

• Then you should know why prescription drugs are not over the counter.

• Ur right I should know everything thanks or answering

• Because teenagers abuse them

just like they do everything else, Luxuries, cans of air, sharpies, themselves

blame the teenagers looking to get high on something!

0|1
    0|0
  • They're not illegal if they're properly prescribed.

0|1
    0|0
    • True, but why should I need a prescription.

• Show All
    • People abuse legal things every day and they are just as addictive caffeine, nicotine and alcohol. Why would abuse be a factor ?

• Your point is valid ask the DEA.

• Some silly people misuse it and then blame the companies for it , trying to get money by sueing

0|1
    0|0
    • Thats true, retards ruin it for people who want to use them to get high...

• Probably because they contain narcotics. Most of them are just heroine or some other opiate in pill form. It's the exact same as the stuff junkies inject into their veins.

0|1
    0|0
  • this should be titled "why are prescription drugs legal?"

the chemicals in these drugs are the exact same chemicals in illicit drugs. oxycontin IS heroin (period). adheral IS meth (PERIOD). pharmaceutical companies are drug dealers who have found a way to sell heroin and meth and say its for medicinal purposes, which it is, but it makes no sense that heroin should be illegal when roxies aren't. in my opinion, every drug should be legal just because we can't stop people from doing it and its a huge waste of time and money.

1|1
    1|1
    • Oxycontin isn't heroine, and Adderall isn't methamphetamine. There are structural differences.

• They are very similar, though.

• they are the same class of drug. roxys are opiates, like heroin, and I'm pretty sure adderall is an amphetamine. theyre both addictive and have the exact same effects. what's the difference? if ones legal, they both should be.

• What a question. It's because idiot kids like to abuse them. "Getting high is fun though" point taken.

0|0
    0|0
  • High potential for abuse.

1|2
    0|0
    • Everything has a high potential for abuse, why would that stop then from making it over the counter.

• Christian moral panic, probably. Usually results in nanny state laws. Look at how strongly the substances used to make, say, Ecstasy are controlled. E is probably one of the most harmless drugs a person could take, and It's certainly less harming to your body and judgement ability, less addicting than alcohol is, but moral panic feared it was going to cause teenagers to run rampant sexually.

Same sort of thing, probably.

• I see, great answer sir.

• To protect the stupid from doing stupid things.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because they're more dangerous and potent

1|1
    0|0
  • "Because I like pain killers and its a hassle to find people and get them from them..."

because of people like you that abuse them...

0|1
    0|1
    • People abuse alcohol, why isn't that illegal ?

• Show All
    • same as making cigarettes will never happen...people are too used to having them and relying on them

• should say making cigarettes illegal lol :P

• Addiction and immunity to for some drugs is a couple of reasons. Keeping profits up for illegal drugs as in prohibition is another. Face it pot is illegal because it competes with alcohol and anyone can grow it anywhere so it's almost impossible to tax. So yea.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes