Girls/woman has anybody had experience with depo provera?

if you have what side effects did you experience...

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I may not be a woman, but I had girlfriends who took it. One thing to look out for is that it seriously screws with your calcium. I hear you can take pills to counteract that, though. It can also potentially kill your sex drive. On the upside you probably won't get your period very often. About once or twice a year, and when it finally comes, it could be light, and short. But this is just what I know from my ex girlfriends. You might wanna ask the doctor about it first, just to be sure. I'm sure whatever side effects you can't get from us, you can get from your doctor. In the meantime, here's some links you can look at. link link link I hope this was of some help.

0|0
    0|0
    • did they gain any weight from it?

• Show All
    • Is weight gain the only thing that concerns you? I tell you what I know, and give you links telling you that it can potentially give you abdominal pains, headache, weakness, fatigue, depression, hair loss, skin breakouts, brittle bones, heartburn, a low sex drive, diarrhea, dizziness, hot flashes, and a bunch of other things, and weight gain is the thing that troubles you? Honestly, I said "on the upside" about periods, but really it's a VERY small positive. I don't think that Depo is worth it.

• Seriously though, is the weight gain the only thing you care about?

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I know a girl on it. She's had no problems with it. She's got nice skin and she's skinny, so I don't think it messes with that. A conversation with your doctor can give you more personal advice on what it could do to you.

0|0
    0|0
  • I did some pretty extensive research on birth control when I was looking to get on it and I avoided Depo like the plague. It's incredibly strong, will most likely cause weight gain, and you can only take it up to 2 years because it messes with your bone density.

Also, if you're a smaller girl, it really wouldn't be right for you.

I started off with the patch and had some issues with it because of its strength and I have a much smaller frame. Too much for this size, you know?

I switched to the ring and haven't had any serious issues as of yet. Been on it 2 years now.

Depo just had too many horror stories though. I had a friend who was on it way too long- 4 years. It really effed her hormones up.

0|0
    0|0
    • so it made you go from small to big?

• Show All
    • did they get chubby or was the weight noticeable?

• You have worse concerns than weight gain, but some gained some weight. I've known some to gain a lot of extra weight and some to only gain a little. Depends on the individual.

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes