What is your opinion of holistic medicine?

Holistic medicine may include Reiki, acupuncture, homeopathy, chakra balancing, quantum touch... yeah that stuff.
Updates:
link baaahahahahhahaha

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Its been proven to not work or have any effect on medical problems. It is pure placebo.

Where it gets dangerous is when people pursue this type of medicine instead of modern things at the risk of their lives. Some say "what's the harm" if its just the placebo and they think it is working, because they feel good and happy.

My answer to that is- because it isn't working, and sooner or later that person is going to have to come to terms with their disease agine.

I think they may offer peace of mind in addition to modern medicine but they should not replace modern medicine.

0|3
    0|3
    • i don't know why you got the down votes but I completly agree with you. it wastes precious time when the disease could be getting worse and it costs a bundle of unessesary money that you need to pay. I wish people would use reasoning rather than geting caught up in the mysticism and the bullsh*t that these things are feeding people!

• Thank you :)

• It's not so much the scepticism, but the haughty, dismissive, Western-centric attitude. Incidentally, I don't blame people for looking at these practices with raised eyebrows, tarring with the same brush: I'm sure many are indeed nonsense. On the other hand, the East has rich cultures spanning back millennia, and I can personally vouch for the fact that they have something of value to teach. :) They are wholly misunderstood.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• If 'alternative medicine' would work, it wouldn't be 'alternative', it'd just be 'medicine'.

Basically, anything that's put before 'medicine' that isn't 'science-based' is just marketing.

0|1
    0|1
    • Watch this: all of it ;p

link

Steven Novella is not only teh bomb, he's an actual medical expert to boot (neurologist, actually), and he's great at explaining these things in ways such that non-medical folks without years and years of study and experience (like me) can understand the issue.

• I will not completely debunk everything that is Herbal because not everything has been tested for whatever chemical compound the herb possesses, but procedures such as "chakra balancing" and "reiki" are full of crap.

0|2
    0|1
    • in martial art, so-called chakra, chi, or ki power is all nonsense but in healing, I am not sure but I think its similar to getting health by listening to religious songs. this is placebo effect. like hypnosis.

• i don't believe in it, the only thing I have tried was a tea made from some kind of root that was suppose to take care of mentrual cramps, I drank cup after cup and it didn't do a think. My mom tried acupuncture for her headaches didn't work either.

0|1
    0|0
  • In Vodou, the type of Voodoo practiced in the slums of Haiti, their what we would term alternative medicine (or, one of them) is essentially just not being a total a**hole. I like that a lot.

0|1
    0|0
  • I thinks they are beneficial up to a point. I have use acupuncture very successfully for pain management. I have also used Ayurvedic medicine.

Many cultures have holistic style of medicine. I think they can enhance modern and scientific medicine.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't mind supplementing traditional medicine with it. I wouldn't dismiss it completely because science is not just black and white and we are constantly learning new things daily. But at the same time I wouldn't bet my life on the stuff...

0|0
    0|0
  • Only certain kinds do I agree with. I'm not into all the spiritual healing and stuff about the chakras, but I do believe muscle testing works, and I like all the home remedies and herbal treatments.

0|0
    0|1
    • I don't know who disliked this... but it's just my opinion!

• Personally, I value more traditional medicine. However, I'm not above trying it out. It's just not my first choice. But, I think that they can work.

0|0
    0|2
  • I don't think it has a ton of scientific merit... but I do believe that one's psychology has some influence over their physicality, so if it makes you feel good do it.

0|0
    0|1
  • Some of it is good. Some of it is pure bullsh*t. Homeopathy is part of that bullsh*t, apart from the placebo effect part of it.

0|1
    0|1
    • @Update: Oh my f***ing god. Please excuse me while I go bang my head against a wall for 30 minutes. I had to stop it after 3 minutes, it was so terrible.

• i like it. and it works.

when I was a kid I made fun of this stuff. but then I got into martial arts and started doing qigong exercises to cultivate chi and changed my mind about it.

0|1
    0|1
    • if you deny the ki or chi power you can't be affected by it. if you are angry with your opponent who masters ki or chi power and you are trying to hit him, he can't send you flying if you don't have faith in it. you can still hit him.

a ki master was defeated easily by a MMA fighter.

sorry but there is no magical barrier surrounding your body.

• I think most of it is a pile of crap but I have used some stuff that worked wonders and not for what I was taking it for in the first place so I can't attribute it to the placebo affect.

0|0
    0|0
  • Never tried it, but I'd try anything non-invasive and non-skin/skin contact if it is offered to me for free!

0|0
    0|0
  • placebo effect.

there is no substitute for regular exercise and healthy eating.

0|1
    0|1
  • I can't really vouch for those practices, but qigong is remarkable. Most is poorly practiced, or misunderstood because it operates under a different paradigm or way of looking at the world. It doesn't do what people expect it to. If you still abuse your body with your life style, say letting your emotions hold dominion (forgive me, not sure what I've been reading for that phrase to appear), not letting go of tension, eating poorly, etc; or if you let your body fall to pieces to begin with; it will have much less effect.

0|1
    0|2
  • its awesome it works you feel better for it unlike medications which give you side effects and other problems

0|1
    0|2
  • My dad swears acupuncture works so ill take his word for it.

0|1
    0|1
  • I like the whole 7 chakras idea, I know too little about it to be honest.

0|1
    0|0
  • A good way to make money and give false hope.

0|1
    0|1
  • A bunch of bullsh*t.

0|2
    0|0
  • I think its interesting stuff.

0|1
    0|1
  • some are real. some are hoaxes. but there are more hoaxes that people find.

0|0
    0|0
  • it works

0|1
    0|0
  • I used to be into a lot of it, but now I think it's mostly fake. My moms a homeopathic practitioner and it seem like her remedies only work 50% of the time, basically placebo or by chance.

Mediation is proven to help a person.

Visualization can help healing, just mind>body, not in mind>matter.

Diet is better than medication.

But I'm not sure if those are really "alternative".

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a scam. All of it.

Every single time it's been subjected to a double blind test, it has failed.

A child can realize it's full of sh*t. As one exceptional child did, a couple of decades ago, when she designed her own test of "Therapeutic Touch" and showed how it was full of crap.

Look her up - Emily Rosa. She was cool.

0|2
    0|1
  • I'm in medical school and I love it. I hate it how it's referred to as "alternative" medicine, when in reality the Western medicine we have is the alternative medicine because holistic med has been around thousands of years.

2|3
    0|3

Recommended myTakes