Why are white women included in the term "minorities"?

I first noticed that people included white women as part of the minorities (I dislike that term BTW) when I went to a pre-med conference at a university a handful of years ago. There were a bunch of different groups that spoke to the crowd, including a "minority" group for pre-med students that said that they welcomed all women ...including white women. Yeah, they actually had the balls to stand there and say how they excepted every single pre-med student into their club unless they were white males...no other qualifications need be met.

In the presidential election I read and hear about women in the collective sense, and then minorities in the same paragraph. I've heard numerous times about the GOP being >90% white, and most being white males (usually characterized as "angry"). So, reading between the PC lines, they segregate all women and minorities in one camp, and then white males on the other side.

Here's a random website I came across as well ( link ). It is a "diversity" training company's website where they teach us white guys how to get along with minorities and women ...and it explicitly states white women.

Why are white women included in the term minorities?

53

Most Helpful Girl

• Women were once discriminated against and treated as second class citizens. Women, white or not, were the last to even be allowed to vote...seems like everyone was granted the opportunity but women.

Hence feminism, Gloria Steinem

• "once discriminated against and treated as second class citizens."

So that's all it takes to qualify as a minority? Americans in the early 20th century used to discriminate against Italian immigrants so I guess that makes me a minority too by that logic ...and don't even get me started on my Jewish side.

• And women still remain discriminated against in the work place. There's sexual harassment(laws don't stop anything) as well as the fact that women are often underpaid compared to their male counterparts.

yeah yeah, rules and laws are all great, but in a perfect world people would follow them and not act like dipsh*ts

It was more recent that women overcame barriers and were *allowed* to be independent. If you're still tripping over something that happened 200 years ago or in the 40s you have