Why are white women included in the term "minorities"?

I first noticed that people included white women as part of the minorities (I dislike that term BTW) when I went to a pre-med conference at a university a handful of years ago. There were a bunch of different groups that spoke to the crowd, including a "minority" group for pre-med students that said that they welcomed all women ...including white women. Yeah, they actually had the balls to stand there and say how they excepted every single pre-med student into their club unless they were white males...no other qualifications need be met.

In the presidential election I read and hear about women in the collective sense, and then minorities in the same paragraph. I've heard numerous times about the GOP being >90% white, and most being white males (usually characterized as "angry"). So, reading between the PC lines, they segregate all women and minorities in one camp, and then white males on the other side.

Here's a random website I came across as well ( link ). It is a "diversity" training company's website where they teach us white guys how to get along with minorities and women ...and it explicitly states white women.

Why are white women included in the term minorities?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Women were once discriminated against and treated as second class citizens. Women, white or not, were the last to even be allowed to vote...seems like everyone was granted the opportunity but women.

Hence feminism, Gloria Steinem

0|1
    1|0
    • "once discriminated against and treated as second class citizens."

So that's all it takes to qualify as a minority? Americans in the early 20th century used to discriminate against Italian immigrants so I guess that makes me a minority too by that logic ...and don't even get me started on my Jewish side.

• Show All
    • And women still remain discriminated against in the work place. There's sexual harassment(laws don't stop anything) as well as the fact that women are often underpaid compared to their male counterparts.

yeah yeah, rules and laws are all great, but in a perfect world people would follow them and not act like dipsh*ts

It was more recent that women overcame barriers and were *allowed* to be independent. If you're still tripping over something that happened 200 years ago or in the 40s you have

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Because it's not about actual numbers of people it's about seats of power and wealth. The social majority is are really just rich men. Your average white guy should technically be a minority as well. =P

0|0
    1|0
    • in a matter of fact, scratch the men part. Just rich people. I mean there's people like Christy Walton with extreme wealth, Opera with major name recognition and influence, and even Roseanne Barr is running for president.

• Democrats do this as a strategy to increase their constituency. White women aren't minorities because..well...they're white. And white men love their white counter parts.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's because white men are considered the "majority" (I suppose in terms of economic majority).

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they are women and they also face discrimination.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they're women

0|0
    0|0
  • Women in generally are minority. Look at engineer/construction/it firm 50 years ago and now.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have no clue. They don't even understand the struggles that minorities face and they are in a seat of privellege simply for being white.

0|0
    1|1

Recommended myTakes