Why is there no white history month?

I apologize if this sounds ignorant but in school they don't teach American Caucasian history other than when referencing slavery. Is there no white history month because it would be disrespectful to celebrate slave ownership? If your white, what is your history? If your ancestors were slave owners does it make you ashamed?

316

Most Helpful Guy

• There should be no "color" history month. History's mistakes are the collective mistakes of everyone. "Black History Month" was originally created based on the assumption that blacks in American history were being ignored.

However, that holiday has served its purpose, and blacks who actually did things are now just as recognized as their counterparts of any other origin. Those who cling to the holiday do so for some other agenda now.

And I wouldn't so much say that black history was "kept in the dark" as part of some conspiracy; so much as it was simply not consciously acknowledged. However, history books are written by men with agendas.

While we have to both acknowledge the merits of Washington and the shame of Al Capone, Black History Month can choose to praise the merits of Washington Carver (inventor of peanut butter,) but simply rule out any mention of the shame that is Jay-Z. And then there's the Cult of Tupac, which takes pride in its shame. But that's a whole other can of worms.