Why is there no white history month?

I apologize if this sounds ignorant but in school they don't teach American Caucasian history other than when referencing slavery. Is there no white history month because it would be disrespectful to celebrate slave ownership? If your white, what is your history? If your ancestors were slave owners does it make you ashamed?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• There should be no "color" history month. History's mistakes are the collective mistakes of everyone. "Black History Month" was originally created based on the assumption that blacks in American history were being ignored.

However, that holiday has served its purpose, and blacks who actually did things are now just as recognized as their counterparts of any other origin. Those who cling to the holiday do so for some other agenda now.

And I wouldn't so much say that black history was "kept in the dark" as part of some conspiracy; so much as it was simply not consciously acknowledged. However, history books are written by men with agendas.

While we have to both acknowledge the merits of Washington and the shame of Al Capone, Black History Month can choose to praise the merits of Washington Carver (inventor of peanut butter,) but simply rule out any mention of the shame that is Jay-Z. And then there's the Cult of Tupac, which takes pride in its shame. But that's a whole other can of worms.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Yes, and if yu even suggest an Irish history week, or an Italian history week, or a Russian or German history week..together, these people built the US from nothing, along with many smaller groups of course...you'll likely be accused of racism. The vast majority of people in the US never had slaves in their whole family history--only a handful of people of English ancestry ever had slaves, really--so this collective blaming of all of us for slavery isn't logical. I think the English people don't want to accept responsibility, so they try to implicate all the rest of us. Not that most people of English ancestry were slaveholders either, most of them never were.

No one's more racist than the African Americans, who try to blame all of us for slavery, not being able to distinguish Greeks from English. We are all the same to them.

There are no 'white' people. There are Irish, italian, Lebanese, Spanish, Indian, Iranian...and 100 others, all different from each other in many ways.

0|2
    3|1
    • I would be fine with celebrating the different types of white (Irish, Italian, Greek, etc) culture. I'm biracial (like a lot of people) so hearing all the different stories of people wouldn't offend me in the slightest. Also the 'them' you speak of kinda comes off harsh I don't think 'all' blk people blame white people for slavery, just uneducated ones who don't know what their talking about anyways. generalization hurt everyone.

• Show All
    • Two up arrrows, more than I expected. Most people are scared of the truth.

• of course I don't think white people are responsible for slavery, that's ridiculous. But if you knew for a fact that your ancestors were slave owners it might make me feel ashamed of them, probably something id hide from people. Not that the actions of your ancestors has any bearing on their descendants, it doesn't but I would think its a natural reaction.

Your comments on MLK are false and simpleminded.

• Less then 1% of white Americans owned slaves in that era of American history... The population in the USA is 10 times what it was at the end of the civil war. Much of that population increase has to do with immigration. I don't know why modern whites would be ashamed of other peoples actions. People today had no play in any of that, and maybe 1/10 of one percent of the white population today see any benefit from the actions of those few involved through inheritances of old money.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is no white history month because, for the most part, white history is just simply regular history. You don't need to make a special month for it because people haven't been kept in the dark about it like they had with black history.

2|0
    0|0
  • What are you talking about? "American Caucasian History" forms the bulk of most history classes. No, there isn't a specific month emphasizing it; but to say that they don't go over it at all (except when referencing history) is ridiculous. I don't think there should be a White history month. I also don't think there should be a Black... or any racial history month. Seriously! Regulating one's history to a month? Asian Americans, African Americans, Latin Americans, European Americans... We're all still American. All of our history is American history.

"If your white, what is your history?"

Take a history class or do some research. White people aren't COMPLETELY ignored, like you claim.

"If your ancestors were slave owners does it make you ashamed?"

It shouldn't. The past is the past, and it can't be changed. You had nothing to do with your ancestors.

5|0
    0|0
  • White people would be shot for promoting white history or organizing a million man white March...white males now get discrimination ...I am not racist but as long as people have opinions the government has to level the field...

0|0
    1|0
  • History class is American Caucasian history. Most people know more about American Caucasian than black history, Latin American history, etc.

3|0
    0|1
  • Why do blacks get a whole month, yet Hispanics don't get a "month" either. the Hispanic ethnicity is the fastest rising population in the U.S. yet there's still no "Hispanic month"

0|1
    1|0
    • Lol, actually there is.

• Hispanic heritage month is from Sept 15 to Oct 15, you should look it up instead of spewing out false information.

• That's actually recognized by all of America. Black history month is recognized by all of America.

• Mine are of a famous military family that fought in WW2, Korea and Vietnam honorably. We also were planters in the pre civil war South who, after the British outlawed the maritime slave trade in 1808, bred our own slaves for field work and sale to smaller operations. Planters gave their slaves their surnames and many Black Americans carry mine which originated in County Donegal, Ireland with a small sub clan of Scots brought into Ireland during Cromwell's wars with the Irish that still plague them to this day. There you go. More history than you learned in high school.

0|0
    0|0
  • I know what your point is. The history books were written mostly by white people telling their (white) side of history, admittedly not giving black people their recognition.

I always ask why is there no NAAWP? There is an NAACP.

Why is there no Miss White America? (blacks are in the Miss America Pageant) There is a Miss black America.

Why is there no United white college fund? There is an United negro college fund.

People don't think we need a United White College fund? Watch shows like swamp people & hoggers.

The down votes will begin but IF we did have a White Miss America that would be politically incorrect.

0|0
    0|0
  • My Ancestry is Irish.The Irish where slaves as well they worked the rails.With the Chinese.And what annoys me is that they act like every white family owned slaves.Which is not true what about the white men and women that opened their houses and hide them and died for them.

No white history month because we would be called racist White supremest and a picket with a bunch of ignorant people would be in our yards.Racism is in every race.The KKK and the hood people are all the same.I hate you because of your skin color.

This is what I think...

We all bleed if we are cut.We all have hearts that beat.We all are born the same way.When we are forming in the uterus do we all not form the same way.Aren't we all American.Shouldn't it be You Are RE,WHITE,AND BLUE.

If you read this and don't like what I have to say I don't care this is my belief.I AM AMERICAN NOT A RACIST

0|1
    1|0
    • Exactly! I say the same thing about my ancestors. They were slaves & lived with families in one apt. Nobody provided them with food & clothing etc.

Sounds worse.

• Exactly I agree with the Godfather.My family worked for everything they owned.Which wasn't much

• https://m.YouTube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s

History encapsulates all races, black history month is racist and offensive. To blacks. It's like having black music month or black sports month, what, the other months are too good to be discussing blacks in history? I'm not ashamed of my heritage by the way, a man is what he makes of himself, not what his heritage represents. If they traded slaves than that is too bad, I can't be held responsible for that and I can't apologize in their name.

0|0
    0|0
  • The hell, they barely even give us a chapter..cry me a river.

1|0
    0|1
  • Because most history is Caucasian History...

1|0
    0|1
  • Every month is white history month.

1|0
    0|1
  • pretty much all the history is 'white' history so I don't know what you mean. White people continue to have the social and economic advantage in this country so their isn't really a need to patronize them with a month or t.v specials. I do think for diversity sake Latino culture should be shared more, they lived in North America too and helped make this country. As for the other multitudes of races I have no problems with them sharing their history either if they really feel that disenfranchised.what I don't understand is how 'white' males can get so upset with diversity requirements when racism is still very much alive and that system is nesscary. I live in the south so I don't know about the other states but here a white male is still counted higher then their just as educated other race/gender counterpart. You see it all the times at banks, sales businesses and even low level resturaunt jobs.

0|0
    0|0
    • Also no one should be ashamed of slavery because it had nothing to do with us.

• Almost all world history over the last thousand years is white history with respects to the shooting star Chinese and end of the road Japanese. The next superpower, India is rising and they will not be afraid to deal with the great cancer of the world: Islam.

0|0
    0|0
  • Good question. The worst thing to be in corporate America these days is a very educated white male. A female or minority with much less qualifications and performance will get the promotions due to diversity requirements of the company. It is the new norm that will be driving talent out of this country.

0|0
    2|0
    • That all begin to level out when Romney takes office. He will guarantee equal opportunity but not preferences or equal outcomes.

• The longest slave trade in history was the islamic slave trade of Africans that has lasted 1400 years to this day and still goes on. Killed millions more and was far harsher yet no one knows

0|0
    0|0
    • that still doesn't explain why we don't learn about or celebrate white American history

• because it would be ignoring the fact that it happened elsewhere

Recommended myTakes