Any medical students/professionals able to help? Does this medical report mean that my mum is dying?:(:(:(

U/S Abdomen was done showing bilateral hydronephrosis with renal calculi and a possible ovarian teratoma.

CTAP was done showing

(1)A 7mm VUJ stone causing upstream severe hydroureteronephrosis and delayed enhancement and excretion of the left kidney.Superimposed ureteritis is suspected and correlation with serum and urine biochemistry is suggested.

(2)Severe right hydronephrosis associated with cortical loss is probably chronic.Several right lower pole stones are noted.The cause is not shown on the current CT as a delayed scan to opacity the ureter was not done.

(3)Large teratoma in the left adnexa with no CT evidence of torsion.The right ovary is not confidently identified.

(4)Bulky uterus,likely enlarged by fibroids.

(5)Uncomplicated cholelithiasis.

Impression is that the left sided teratoma is causing hydronephrosis of the left kidney.She was also referred to Uro for the renal calculi with hydronephrosis who suggested laser lithotripsy during the same sitting as removal of the ovarian tumour if patient wants surgery.Uro suggests to refer to Uro at KKH if pt is for surgery.
What does the above medical report mean?I would be so grateful to you for helpping.The best answer would be selected.Thanks a million!
Does the above medical report mean that my mum's tumour is cancerous?One doctor said that it is cancerous while the other doctor said there is no urgency.I am totally confused!what is a teratoma?cancerous or not cancerous?
I appreciate jacquesvol's answer too.

You guys are really great and explain things in a much easier to understand way than my mum's doctors.So glad that I have found this site.:)

08

Most Helpful Guy

• For someone with lower abdominal pain, workout includes an ultrasound and a CT.

On the left, there recent swelling of the kidney due to some swelling of the ureter, caused by a possible combination of a ureter stone incompletely blocking it and compression from the outside by an ovarian teratoma (typically noncancerous).

On the right, there is long-standing swelling of the kidney with some old damage, cause is not clear because they didn't check the emptying of that ureter and they weren't able to see the right ovary.

She also has gallstones (common in women over 40) which don't seem to be causing her the pain (no swelling of gallbladder or bile ducts were noted). The enlarged uterus (likely to be caused by fibroids, noncancerous growths, in older women) was not noted to be compressing the ureter (this can happen so they need to look for it).

Treatment is to use sonic waves to break the stone in the left ureter to bits, and in the same surgery (if it's okay with your mom) they want to completely cut out the teratoma to relieve the ureter of compression, and also to take a look and make sure the tumor hasn't spread (10% chance, so unlikely) and to biopsy the tumor and see it's potential to be dangerous or not.

They will want to follow up with her after removing the tumor to see if it comes back at all (blood tests and imaging) for some time before she is in the clear.

Hope this helps!

--Johnny

• Wow,you made everything so easy to understand,kind soul.How I wish the doctors here can explain things in simple terms like you do.This world need more people like you.

Is sonic waves the same as laser and is it painful to remove the stones?How serious is 7mm and how many mm would cause complete blockage?Thanks again!

• Typically these tumors (noncancerous tumors of the ovary) are removed laparoscopically (very tiny incision in the abdomen and vagina for robot arm that removes pieces of tumor and for the camera, quick recovery time). Other surgeon’s may choose to perform “open surgery” (laparotomy) requiring a significant abdominal incision. Please ask your surgeon what they will be doing so that you and your mother may have peace of mind. Good luck and thanks for the compliments :-)

• Ok,thank you so much! :)