Whats wrong with men being protective of women why is it bad?

Why is it seen as a bad thing when men want to protect women? Its natural. I don't see why women get offended. Women are weaker and more vulnerable nothing wrong with me being protective of my girlfriend.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't see it as bad at all. I love it. It feels good to know a guy would care enough to want to protect you.I'd appreciate that a lot. I've dated guys who seemed to have no protective instinct at all, they were like "what do you need me for? You can handle it yourself" and that makes me feel like he doesn't really like or care about me. I look at a guy differently if he acts that way. I am a strong woman but that means I need an even stronger man and that's why I like guys who are really protective. I don't understand why a girl would be offended by that :/

0|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I don't get all offended with men who try and protect me but I don't always want to have to depend on a guy to be there whenever I may get hurt. I also feel that I'm not worth them getting potentially hurt over and I would feel so bad that they got hurt because of me. Personally I don't see it as a bad thing, you're only looking out/after her/them and to me it shows that you care for your gf/others.

0|0
    0|0
    • See that's where you're wrong. Me and all of my friends agree that they would put their girlfriends over themselves and risk getting hurt to protect them.

• Here is my perspective. You are right that it is good to make sure the woman you are going out with isn't hurt.

But women see protective men as bad for one main reason.

Guys who are protective are often so protective because they are threatened by other men. If another man comes near his woman, he will act like an ape because he fears that if another guy talks to his girlfriend, he will be easily replaced. If you don't have that fear, there's no reason you should try to be protective.

If a guy approaches her, I just let him talk to her. Because that shows you have self control and composure rather than getting angry so easily.

But if the guy talking to her starts to really bother her or gets out of line, then I would step in.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think it is bad, as long as they aren't controlling or possessive. Feminist would argue, but I'm not a fan of feminist, so I don't care.

0|0
    0|0
  • It just plain doesn't make any sense to me. I get protective of someone if I'm close to them and I care about them, not for women just because they're women. And it's not crazy like, here, let me protect you because you clearly can't protect yourself. That's cave-talk :P

0|0
    0|0
  • There's a term for it in academia: sciencedaily(dot)com/releases/2011/10/111004121314.htm

(sorry, not level 4, can't post links yet)

Being protective isn't negative. It's when you make it about gender that it seems silly. I'm protective of my boyfriend, does that make me manly and him feminine?

I'm curious about this:

If a woman calls chivalry sexism, people say that's ridiculous.

If a woman is a fan of chivalry, people say that's being spoiled, that if you want to be equal, you shouldn't want to be treated special.

I don't get it.

0|0
    0|0
  • i love it

0|1
    0|0
  • It really depends on the woman: her background, her personality, her upbringing and her past relationships (to name a few)...Some women are very independent and do not like a man being overprotective when she can carry her own weight. Most women do not like to be viewed as weak nor vulnerable. Other women see it as an early stage of a controlling personality... On the contrary, some women love when a man is protective of her. She loves the feeling that her man has her back and will protect her at all costs...I secretly believe all women desire protection but don't want it to be thrown around in every day life or in situations that it should not be where the man has become a bit controlling.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes