College, making the decision to go to a 4yr or 2yr?

I'm conflicted with choosing to go either to a community college and then transfer or go straight to a university.

Its cheaper to go to community college but not all the classes I want are available at my local community colleges and I might not get accepted to the 4yr college I want.

I'm pretty sure I'll get accepted with my high school grades but my parents say its too expensive for me to move and that I should stay home and commute.

I know id save them thousands by commuting to community college or maybe a state college but I honestly don't want to live in the area where I am anymore.I want to go some place new.

..any advice like should I go to cc and hope I get to the college I want or take a chance even though my parents will only support me financially if I stay home and commute.What did you do after high school?
Updates:
Well I didn't do so well as I wanted so I'm going to community college since id rather not take remedial classes.Thanks everyone for your advice!
Well I didn't get accepted to my top choices for universities so not every school rejected me but I start cc in 2 weeks! :D

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Go to community college. Get your pre-reqs out of the way and then transfer. And you've been living in that area for I'm assuming 18 years, you can stand two more. Plus I know a bunch of people that went away for four-year schools and one month into the first semester they're already planning on transferring closer to home. Suck it up for two years and you won't regret it. I'm in community college right now and I love it. Granted, my college is in the second richest county in the country, so it has a lot of cool stuff, but it still isn't a four-year. It may suck now, but you won't regret it later. And as that girl said, community college lets you feel out your interests so that when you do transfer, you're spending your money on classes that you know will help you get your degree.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes I've lived in the same place my whole life and maybe I can stomach another 3 years but I don't think my community colleges are that great. There's 4 campuses in a system/district together but some don't have a field so I don't know if they have clubs,sports,a band,theather ect.

• Show All
    • But can you still do a minor or double majors?

• Yeah, for your associates degree. I'm majoring in International Studies

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• ok only go to a community colleg if you transfer to a 4 year school in the same state as the community college. I went to a community college then transfered out of state. its been terrible honestly for some reason certain things won't transfer being a transfer student is awkward and harder to make friends. if I could go back I would of just went to a 4 year school

0|0
    0|0
    • Ya I really wanted to leave california but I guess I'll stay since its cheaper and I won't feel out of place.

• I am in a position where I am commuting from home everyday to school and it is very inconvenient. Sometimes it is a good idea but in this case, even though it's cheaper I still really want my own home closer to school. Plus I like to live somewhere new just as you said. I'm in a four year university and I like it so far. I don't see anything too wrong with a two year transfer plan though.

0|0
    0|0
    • ya I could go to a 4 year near home too but there's like only one out of 4 that has the majors I want and there's 3 others that id have to move away for.

• After High School I went to cc and I don't regret it.

I ended up changing my major and dropping a few courses so that saved me a lot of money. Not everyone knows what they want to do right after High School so don't rush it! Debt is not fun to have. My cousin graduated 4 years ago and couldn't make her payments so her parents shouldered the burden now they are losing their house. It's so horrible.

I know you have big dreams but there are more ways to get there than by going to a big name 4yr college right away. Life has so much in store for us and can change at any moment. Maybe you'll get through 3 years and realize you chose the wrong path now you're totally in debt. Don't do it unless you're sure of what you want.

1|0
    0|0
    • ya that'd suck but I think I really figured out my majors.I think double majors would be expensive since its more classes.

• I think you should choose to go to university instead. It would save you time although not financial friendly. It has to be done!

0|0
    0|0
  • Four year cause the students loans are interest free now and you can just pay them off over however long it takes you.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd strongly suggest starting at a community college. You can still go to a new place afterward. If you start at the CC you'll not only save money, but get an education that's just as good, if not better. It'll give you a nicer, safer way to transition into college. So many high schoolers go to a 4-year school just to leave, only to come back to the CC because they can't handle it. Starting at a CC will help you pad your grades. It'll show the other school you want that you can actually handle the work. I'm at my community college right now, getting ready to transfer to a university in the spring. I think staying here for a while was the best choice overall. You could even compromise with your parents... stay there for a semester or only a year instead of two. But I don't see the point in that... you'd get the same classes there at the larger school for less than half the price.

0|0
    0|0
    • Well was cc a little simliar to high school because I took a class over the summer and it was so much easier than the AP class I failed but then again I took 7B which only cover from 1865 to present.

• why not go for one year and then transition for the next 3 years?

0|0
    0|0
    • I live in california and their budget cuts say they're only allowing upper divsion transfers.that could change with prop 30 but I'm not taking that chance.

• Good luck without worries

0|0
    0|0
  • If your not really sure what you want to be yet go cc

0|0
    0|0
  • Go with what's the best money and time wise.can you handle uuniversity level classes.were ap classes a struggle

0|0
    0|0
  • Seems like you should o to a 4 year school

It's not just about the classes or money, it's also a life experience. Going in as a freshman vs as a transfer is different and it sounds like you're ready for a change

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes