Any thoughts on writing in a vote?

You don't have to pick one of the 2 main candidates (In the United States anyway). You have the option to write in another person for a vote... but would it be any better than not voting?
Updates:
I am talking about a scenario where other people have this same idea, but don't because they feel the majority will just pick from the 2 choices. Could it be possible for a write in to win an election?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Do it if you want to. The same arguments people may make against doing it, are the same reasons that can be turned around and used as a reason in favor of doing it. Writing a name in may be a "wasted vote" because it would change anything, then doing it is no big deal to anyone but yourself...since its "no big deal". It's all about voting your conscience. So if a candidate you really like is not on the ballot in your state, then do your candidate a favor an write him/her in for yourself. It's your vote, so you get to do whatever you want with it

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• While I understand the point of it (voting for who you truly want to win), it's a waste of a vote. Your vote is using what little voice you have, and no one pays attention or gives a crap if it's not for one of the main candidates. My true vote goes to one of the third parties, but if I voted that way, it's a vote AGAINST the lesser of two evils.

0|1
    0|0
    • its a little late to start making fliers now but if this was earlier this year and I would actually voice my opinion and vote for a potential candidate I feel was better than the two... I always felt it would be a waste of a vote but somehow the elections I've been able to vote in I've not been impressed with either candidate

• Honestly, it seems like a dumb waste of effort... In US history no candidate has ever won from a write in and unless you can somehow convince at least 1/4 of the population to write in this candidate it won't even prove a viable option, even 3rd party candidates rarely receive a mentionable percentage of the vote and their actually on the ballot... I see it as a waste of the voice you have...

0|1
    0|0
    • no but they do successfully take the vote from the party they don't want to win and give the one they do want to win (they rarely think they are going to win). To me it astounds me that people are given this illusion that there is only 2 options when that's just not the case.

• I would say if you are going to either write in or not vote, then write in, at least make the effort.

0|1
    0|0
    • Making a fruitless effort isn't much better than not voting, but what if you knew other people had the same idea? but didn't because they too felt it was fruitless to write in a vote.

• If they all wrote it in then it is possible so why not try, I am probably going to write in, why not make my vote count.

• I don't see it as a waste at all. Why in the hell would you vote for someone, just because it is the "popular choice"? I've never understood that logic, but unfortunately, it seems like that's the mindset of most people.

0|1
    0|0
  • Ronald Regan

0|1
    0|0
  • a complete waste of a vote because the write in doesn't stand a chance of winning. you might as well vote for micky mouse.

0|1
    0|1

Recommended myTakes