What do you do to get your creative juices flowing?

For those creative types out there: writers, musicians, painters, video makers, etc. What helps you focus yourself on creating your works? Do you have a routine? Is there somewhere in particular you like to go? I'm especially interested in any fiction writers' points of view since that's mostly what I like to dabble in.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I smoke lots of weed

2|0
    0|0
    • lol good answer! I don't know where you stand on psychedelics, but acid makes me feel insanely creative!

• Never done any other drug other than weed. But I'm dead serious about my answer. I'm a musician and music producer and the best ideas always come when I'm high. My brain just sits on another level. I even notice this outside of music. My words become more creative when I speak or write, I come up with funnier jokes, unique ideas, better fashion ensembles. It's like my brain becomes more powerful and open.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I [attempt to] write fiction, as well as non-fiction.

In terms of inspiration, it hits me at completely random, uncontrollable times. If I'm lucky I'll have a notebook and pen to write down my ideas, otherwise I've resorted to using eyeliner on my arm or thigh to record some semblance if what came to my mind at the most inconvenient of times.

Actually putting those ideas into words (writing) is a whole other ball game. I'm a chronic procrastinator, and embarrassingly easy to distract. If I want to write, I will sit down with my laptop (wireless turned off), a notebook, pen, thesaurus and any other reference books I need. I'll give myself a time limit, and "goal" to complete - and get to it.

In terms of places, I favour coffee shops but can work in other places. My room is an absolute no, because I get way too distracted by the things around me. I need somewhere where I don't feel at home, but am still comfortable.

Sometimes it works, often it doesn't, but it's proved to be more beneficial than any other method I've attempted.

1|0
    0|0
  • It just there... I have no way to turn it off... Sometimes I'm creating and innovating when I should be doing something boring. It causes problems sometimes. =P

1|0
    0|0
  • Music always helps get me into my creative mode :) It's my go to method if I need inspiration. I love writing poems and stories but there are times when I'm stuck but then I just listen to new inspiring music and the enthusiasm is there again :D

0|0
    0|0
  • I like to read a lot of crap.

Like anything and everything. I don't even have to like it.

It doesn't even have to be relevant.

But mostly just doing inspires me; sometimes I'm in a slump and I just have to do something to get to a place where I feel like I then have something to do if that makes sense.

Also my own laziness is good for me. It makes me formulate easy ways to do things ... sometimes.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think of the absurd and build around it. The absurd is where all new thoughts are born.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well, I like to listen to music usually. Normally, I have a vague idea about what I want to do, and then I kind of listen to some music that goes with the idea. Although, I do have those moments where the creative bug bites me spontaneously. Just try doing what you do every day, if you don't already have an idea of what you want to do. More often than not, the more you try to get inspiration, the less likely you will be to get it.

0|0
    0|0
  • i am interesed in making animations as an amateur of course i have some unfinished works and stil trying to finish:)) I usually prefer watching animations and films sometimes playing games to keep myself motivated especially when thinking of the development in graphic technology the games are so realistic and fun to play. when i see the opportnities the programs provieded to us,amateur animators i feel motivated and tell myself to finish what i started

0|0
    0|0
  • for some reason whenever I think out loud the ideas come

1|0
    0|0
  • Listen to music

like Paradise by Coldplay

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes