A question for those who don't believe in God?

This is going to spark a debate, I can feel it, but try to avoid that. I'm just curious.

I have a friend who doesn't believe in God. Yet whenever something happens she either says, "Thank God" or "That just answered my prayers" and I assume that if she's having sex, she'll be calling out "Oh God!"

So...why would she do this if she doesn't believe? If she doesn't believe she wouldn't pray so she wouldn't have any prayers to be answered.

And if she doesn't believe then why should she be thanking a being she thinks doesn't exist?

And if she doesn't believe, then why would she call out a name? Why not call out something else like, stapler or horseshoe as those have the same emotional meaning to her as God does seeing as she doesn't believe.

Just curious as to the logic behind this all.

516

Most Helpful Guy

• Term of phrase, it's more habit than mental.

Have you ever heard a Christian say "God damn it?" or "God damn you?"

I have, and I know Christians aren't supposed to say that. It's just a habit that was picked up from society. We say it without putting much thought behind it, and we can do that because God has no meaning behind it, so thus, the word "Thank God" has no meaning behind it either. So we can comfortably wave that word around.

Personally though, I just stick with "Thank Stapler." It's much easier, and staplers have always been there for me. So nice and reliable.