How can I get a girl to open up to me?

I'm in high school. There's a girl I've liked for years. I want to try and date her, but I'm having little luck getting her to open up to me. It's not that she feels uncomfortable around me; we talk quite often. But I can never get her to talk about anything past small talk. Nothing really personal at all.

I think (in fact, I know) she struggles a bit with self-consciousness, despite the fact that she's beautiful, so that may have something to do with it. But what can I do to really get her talking to me?

Feel free to ask further questions.

10