Guys, do you know about promise rings?

I was talking about it with some guy friends and one didn't even really know about them. I wondered how common that is among men.

If you do know about them, under what circumstances would you buy one for your girlfriend?

Is it weird or bad to ask for one? I know it should be something coming from your girlfriend/boyfriend because they want to. It would be more meaningful if they did it themselves but say its been years.
Updates:
Thanks for answering. I don't think its "important" like I NEED it. I just think its a sweet thing and it would just make me happy personally to wear it and what it makes me feel to see it everyday. Subtly hinting is a great idea.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't just come right out and ask for one, because:

A. You'll always wonder if he gave it to you because he felt forced

B. He will miss out on the enjoyment of surprising you, and feeling like it was all his idea.

I guess you could always drop super subtle hints. Like, " my friend Megan's Boyfriend just got her a promise ring. That is so romantic!"

Just don't oversell it. LOL

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I know about them. Though I never really understood why you would need a piece of jewelry to make a commitment to someone. I think there are plenty of more sentimental meaningful stuff out there then rings that are printed out by the millions in China or wherever.

1|0
    0|0
  • it's not weird to want one but like Dodgers said if it's not something he wanted to give you and it's from his heart...would it really mean anything or would it just be a piece of jewelery you had to ask for and he had to go get to make you happy? The best you can hope for is if they ever came up in casual conversation to mention that you've always thought they were a really important sign of a guys commitment and you like them, but never directly tell him that because it just wouldn't be the same if it wasn't from his heart.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes