Is being told you are "like a Barbie" a terrible thing?

I think it is. My best friend (a guy) just told me this.. He said I remind him of a Barbie doll because I´m blond, skinny, you like pink, you are sweet and very girly". That´s great, but isn't barbie really stupid?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• "Barbie is a fashion doll manufactured by the American toy-company Mattel, Inc. and launched in March 1959. American businesswoman Ruth Handler is credited with the creation of the doll using a German doll called Bild Lilli as her inspiration.

Barbie is the figurehead of a brand of Mattel dolls and accessories, including other family members and collectible dolls. Barbie has been an important part of the toy fashion doll market for fifty years, and has been the subject of numerous controversies and lawsuits, often involving parody of the doll and her lifestyle."

Wikipedia's a great thing, isn't it?

Barbie was made in the late 50's as sort of a "this is what women should look like" type thing. Of course this is just a media plause to get women to buy barbies and have self image problems, pouring money into all sorts of makeup etc...

Now that women are starting to be more comfortable with themselves as Barbie is being remodeled to be more "real life-like", it doesn't matter if he's calling you barbie. Besides, doesn't barbie do likeee, everything (lawyer, doctor, etc..) or is that something else I'm thinking of

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• That's one of those comments that could easily go in either direction, so it just depends on the context of how it was said. And since it was one of your really good friends that said it, seems safe to assume he meant it as more of a compliment than anything else. Being thin, blond and girlie doesn't exactly sound like something a girl would need to worry about...self confidence goes a lonnngggg way!

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it's a bad thing. Besides there's no way Barbie can be stupid, she's got so many different jobs! Doctor Barbie, Vet Barbie, Astronaut Barbie, McDonald's Barbie, PopStar Barbie, and the list goes on. This guy's comment is only what you make of it :)

0|0
    0|0
  • So wait, he actually explained why he said you were "like a Barbie" and you're still asking us what he meant? Yea, there is no "in between the lines" in this case. He made it pretty clear. Either take the compliment or leave it. My god, girls are terrible.

1|0
    0|0
  • if your best friend told you that, then its not a bad thing. I like barbies :)

but if its from a catty girl who doesn't like you, then its bad. Barbie's sometimes are used to describe girls who are fake because theyre plastic. and yea stupid because dolls don't have brains right.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think stupidity is intrinsic to babie. Take it as a compliment. Barbie is kind of a picture for beauty in western culture. Either way, he meant it nicely so no reason to think so much into it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I answered your Question(s) tonight...don't you ever take on friends on GAG? I am asking you on your old Question because I hate sending a Friend Request and either be rejected or even worse...they just let it sit there.

0|0
    1|0
  • Well are you stupid? You know nobody ever admits they are the dumb ones. Do you know calculus?

0|0
    0|0
  • That was a compliment.

If a guy would want to tell you that you're stupid then exactly that thing would be told with no riddles or subtexts.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hey maria. I really need to talk with u. Hope to hear from you soon

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes