Throwing away a diary?

My old ones have the typical teenage angst and some in the post teen years...would you ever consider getting rid of yours? Or do you think it's important to keep it? I wouldn't want anyone finding it because might hurt them...

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• You never want to get rid of your diaries. Sometimes you can look back and observe your thought processes and realize 10-20 years later, you haven't changed that person inside. It gives you precedence in case you find yourself in a tough emotional situation and have to make decisions (since you already know the outcome having been so long removed from it).

I never kept a physical diary but I did often log some "late night" thoughts onto text documents to help develop meaningful lyrics. These entries were a thorough dissection of my psyche, and my mind had not changed at all. 6 years later I was still self-loathing and felt inferior. That's when I learned to be more endearing of the moment, even against my will, because stone walling everything in order to feel safe and assured does not lead to the happiness I want.

If you're afraid of hurting some people, that's what makes it EVEN MORE valuable because guess what? It can prevent you from doing the same thing to someone who really means a lot to you.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• In my opinion, as an aspiring historian, you should keep them. Your early years would be vital to keeping an accurate detail of your life. It would be fun to look over them with your children/grandchildren. Also, it helps you grow as a person. You can look back at your failures and successes and use those to help you shape your future. Keep em girly.

1|0
    0|0
    • Kudos to you for going the history route! Some of the entries are not history related, but, then again, some do comment on events like 9-11 and what not...so I guess they could be interesting in the future. Thank you!

• No problem :)

• put them in a place where nobody can find them , but keep them...they're a part of you and your memories. also, if nothing else, when you'll be a parent it will help you remember that you were once an angsty teenager as well ;) (the way I see it, far too many people forget it)...

btw I just found my teenage diary last week, and I was so angry because I kept thing deliberately vague, and now I don't know what I was talking about...but it was enjoyable reading through it..:)

1|0
    0|0
    • lol! Vague entries? I did that sometimes because I was too sleepy or my hands were cramping up from writing! Thanks for your input!

• I wrote a few really bad things about someone, but I didn't specify who...and now I have no idea who I was so angry at :)...

• Ohhhh! Lol well now no one will know either!

• I keep mines. I like to remember how was my life and what I thought when I was younger, and it's funny sometimes.

But, if you may hurt someone because of it, the best thing you can do it's to throw it away.

1|0
    0|0
  • I keep those things. It's amusing to look back, and even therapeutic. I like to remember things, even bad things. They've all shaped me into who I am today.

1|0
    0|0
    • Interesting that you like to remember the bad things as opposed to blocking them from memory...I suppose that is a healthier way of dealing with bad circumstances.

• They shaped me. I have no feelings for the bad things any more. I can look back on them objectively now.

• Gotcha! Clarity...thanks! :) mature attitude

• I'd keep it. Looking back at your old things brings back the best memories even if they were the worst. Just find a really good hiding spot. :P

2|0
    0|0
  • Definitely keeeep!

You can look back at them when you have a teenage daughter going through teenage angst and look back when you're 60

1|0
    0|0
  • I would keep them. Its fun to look back when you are 90 years old and what you went through. Keep them

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks! Mostly everyone said to keep it...I guess might be interesting to look at in few years...who knows if I'll reach 90 though? =p

• burn it

1|0
    0|0
  • Read it aloud on pay per view TV :D

1|0
    0|0
  • If there is a lot of negative feelings you feel feel better burning it.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks for your input...I suppose I'll hang onto them but don't know where to put them...

• I would keep it. I've got papers from grade school ( from a long time ago) that I have in a box. sometimes it fun to take them our and look at them.

I think you should keep your diary because years from now you can go dig it up and look at the things youve written, and laugh or smile about it. ( I was in love with THAT guy?) Also, it m ight be something fun to show your kids someday.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes