Would it be possible to have a wolf as a pet?

If you raised a wolf from the time it was a pup, would it love you like a dog would?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, you could. They are amazing companions but they will not be your typical dog. Meaning, they're not the type to do fancy tricks or anything. Honestly, I don't recommend people getting a wolf or even a wolf hybrid. I have many friends and customers who have them and they are quite a handful. I've been in a pet industry for a long time and I admire wolves from afar but I will never intentionally buy a wolf as a pet. I would only raise one if no one else could. They're not a 'beginners' dog and you MUST understand wolf pack behavior before getting one. There are many people who loved the idea of having a wolf/wolf hybrid but end up giving up on them because they are too much to handle so they either get euthanized right away or taken in by a wolf rescue group (they despise people who didn't do their research before getting these high drive breed). They're also very expensive to take care of. You also have to 'cook' for them. If you give them regular dog food, they usually don't take to it very well and there will eventually be a huge vet bill.

If you need more information, feel free to hit me up.

3|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• No. Same for hybirds. (People tried it with german shepherd dog and other breads a decades ago)

I can't give you any names, but there was a professor who gave his students wolf pups and dog pups (I think shepherds) after a few weeks, with the same treatment and socialization it was clear that wolfs are way different than dogs. The wolfs e.g. were still very reclusive. You can't keep them as pets like dogs.

0|0
    0|0
    • why no names?

• because I don't remember them ;) I think it was an experiment in italy. Not sure though.

• No, they lack the ability to be domesticated.

A good documentary that covered this was Dogs Decoded.

They took wolves vs foxes and attempted domestication. Wolves started to develop wild instincts and the fox was more easily domesticated.

2|0
    0|0
  • Because wolves are naturally more aggressive than dogs, it's more dangerous to keep them as pets. They are also pack animals and feel more comfortable among other wolves.

In Australia we have dingoes, and while you can keep them as "pets" with certain permits, its ill advised because they are more unpredictable and aggressive. Seeing as wolves have an even more violent nature, I certainly wouldn't suggest it unless you are incredibly educated and experienced on the matter.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wolf hybrids are NOT for beginners or people who've never dealt firsthand with alpha dogs that were originally bred for guarding, to be aggressive, loyal and protective.

Dogs like that get a pack mentality and can turn on the owner very easily if the person has no experience and has not trained them properly

People think pitbulls and presa canarios are quick to turn, but without a proper owner who displays leadership and dominance, it's very easy for the situation to turn bad

1|0
    0|0
  • Didn't you guys read the phantom?

In many zoos the workers actually play with the wolves, but there are also accidents and deaths that happen(Happend in Sweden not to long ago), but people die from dogs to.

Not sure, havn't tried and I'm forced to believe it's all about how you define pet, and how you raise them.

0|0
    0|0
  • In game of thrones it is. Wintahhh is coming! :O

But no seriously it wouldn't be advised. Sure anything is possible but there is bound to be an attack or two on someone, maybe even yourself. I saw some documentary where some guy tried to raise a spotted hyena in a condominium in Florida, talk about ill planning. Eventually, it got to big, its appetite to large, expensive, was a threat to friends, and needed more space. I imagine some similar problems with a wolf.

0|0
    0|0
    • That gave me the idea, LOL, although dire wolves went extinct 10,000 years ago and they are the ones in GOT

• yes but it would be a wild animal not domesticated like a dog. so it would still have all the instincts and mannerisms a wolf would have...they aren't dogs. They're pretty serious predators, that's been bred out of most dogs.

0|0
    0|0
  • Haha,I actually wanted to ask this question and you asked it for me!I have always loved wolves and wolvedogs but it is illegal in my country to keep wolves.Wolves and wolvedogs are really handsome.

0|0
    0|0
  • Possible maybe but not likely because dogs are selected and bred for their domesticity and even dispositions

0|1
    0|0
  • Many zoologists in fact speculate wolves are merely descendents of dogs that weren't domesticated by humans. DNA shows that's not quite true and they are different species.

Anyway, there's always a risk with animals of unpredictable reactions. Wolf, like dogs, being a pack animal would accept a human pack leader, so it could be possible. But even dogs have been known to turn on their owners, and I'm not just refering to the abused dogs, dogs that have been treated with love their whole lives have gone violent towards their owner.

Keep in mind too, dogs are territorial, and see all creatures as invading their territory. Wolves for the past thousands of years were breed through natural selection that required them to be strong and very aggressive, unlike dogs which had human controlled breeding, so you can expect even more unpredictability and 'defense' of your territory, which means attacking children who get too close to your property.

So it might be possible, but also risky.

1|0
    0|0
    • Actually, it is true. Dogs are domesticated forms of some ancient wolf.

• I saw a documentary about a man who raised an abandoned wolf pup. I can't remember it exactly, but I think because wolves are naturally dangerous, he couldn't keep it. The dogs we keep as pets have been bred selectively.

When the pup was old enough, he had to get it to drink the way wolves do and introduce it to a pack. He was an expert in wolves though. He knew their language so well that he could trick them into thinking he was another wolf, and behaved as if he was one of the lower ranks in the pack. It was such an interesting documentary, but I can't remember what it was called.

2|0
    0|0
    • I would never be able to be like this man. :)

• Show All
    • That does sound really interesting, too bad you can't remember the name of the documentary though; I'd love to watch it lol :P

• Since you want to watch it, I Googled it, and here's a Youtube advert: link

]

• My understanding is that dogs are descended from wolves. But its probably not accurate to suggest we just randomly grabbed some wolves and raised the pups and dogs are their descendants.

Dogs in many ways behave like immature wolves - more playful and more trusting then adult wolves.

It is likely that the original wolves who were domesticated were those who had traits that made them more docile and friendly to humans then average wolves. Those traits were then reinforced over many, many, many generations.

0|0
    0|0
  • You have to take your chances, just like other things in life.

Try not to die (:

1|0
    0|0
  • heeell no, they would kill you for authority or for leading the pack

0|0
    0|0
  • Just get a cross breed. My friend had a pet that was half dog and half wolf. Very loyal animal.

0|0
    0|0
  • My dog I had when I was a kid was a half wolf, he acted just like a normal big dog would

0|0
    0|0
  • aren't they cold blooded?

0|0
    1|0

Recommended myTakes