What is your opinion on thrift stores?

Unfortunately, I don't have many antique stores or thrift stores around, so I don't know much. There is one however, I was walking by, and really loved this leather bag on the display. I went inside to ask the price, and the lady herself told me about the fake straps attached to it and then reminded me that I was in a thrift store.

But the items are new or almost new such that you can't tell -they sell clothes that did not sell, have some minor flaws etc, haven't been worn more than once (because the original tags are intact and there is no wear-tear/fading etc). They have slightly used variety for accessories. The reason I've suddenly become so fond of it is because it offers the highest quality, original, very fashionable items you won't see anywhere else. My sister found a Valentino clutch purse (with a dysfunctional zipper that requires restitch) and Jimmy Choo shoes which seems unbelievable.

Anyways, they seem more like a social taboo from what I hear. What's your stance? Have you ever been to one? How was the experience? Any amazing finds?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think thrift stores are great. You can find some real treasures. Any stigma these establishments may have is a little dated.

I found a genuine, vintage Karl Lagerfeld LBD from the 1970s for only $25. I paired it with Betsy Johnson peep-toe pumps that I bought at the same store for $15.

0|1
    0|0
    • WOW! I know people who would get a heart attack having read this answer lol

Sounds absolutely amazing, You have really mentioned the kind of items I believe thrift stores are made for, outerwear, shoes, accessories, props. thank you so much for answering, (I must hunt down new thrift stores lol).

• Show All
    • Yeah, I was really lucky. Thrift stores are fantastic places to find good quality accessories and shoes.

• Thank you for your concise yet considerably informative answer. Gave me food for thought on importance of thrift stores :P I must find one lol

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I sometimes feel uncomfortable doing it, but honestly I couldn't afford to have anything approaching a "normal" wardrobe without shopping at them. Most of my clothes come from there. You for sure have to look more closely as what you're buying (there's a wide range in terms of quality, how used something is, etc), but you have to have clothes!

0|1
    0|0
    • I agree. Since there seems to be no uniformity in fabrics, origins, prints, cuts, sizes, colors etc, there is a lot to choose from and you may find the rarest gems if you look into the right places and have the proper eye. I really don't see a point in being uncomfortable about it, like ContrarianAtHeart said, it's a dated concept now and people are increasingly fond of quality, vintage clothes.

• Vintage is love! LOVE I TELL YOU!

And getting a deal on it! Oh la la! It's like this, "Why, hello beautiful faux fur coat with black leather badazzled collar and buttons! Enchante!"

(I had french today, and I sit by flirts. You can imagine what French words they get out of that class.)

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm gonna pop some tags.

Got twenty dollars in my pocket.

I'm hunting, looking for a come up

This is f***ing awesome.

When you're desperately poor or a fashion-chasing hipster, conventional social stipulations no longer mean two sh*ts.

0|1
    0|0
  • Ehh, I'm kinda half and half..there OK if you have patience. I'm normally used to the, like what you see, pay, and get the hell out of there regimen, so I really don't have patience to actually look and search for what I want. I mean, don't get me wrong, there's good sh*t in thrift stores, but it might take at least 30 minutes to an hour, at least for me to find what I like..than again, it takes me that long in a regular department store :p

0|1
    0|0
  • There are tons of vintage/charity/second hand shops here. I go to them quite a lot. They take some hunting but you can find some really great stuff in there for really really great prices.

0|1
    0|0
  • Sadly we don't have any where I live, but I would totally go if we did. I don't think there is anything taboo about it. Like you said it is a great way to find original, unique pieces and also save money.

0|0
    0|0
  • well we do have second hand stores,but the really popular thing in my town-pijaca. it is kind of looked down upon because our people are obsessed with appearing to be rich (99% aren't) but most people go there. I don't go there because I do not handle myself very well in crowded places,but I have a lot of stuff from there. I have some workout gear from nike and adidas that don't have a tag,but are perfectly new-that I got for like 1$,when it usually costs 20-50$. you can get dressed head to toe for like 5$,if you get two for one deals-2$.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's a place where people donate used goods, not just clothes. I personally don't like them, but that's because I have a problem with wearing clothes that other people have worn.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think their OK. This particular store seemed up front with you right away telling you about the bag that "the fake straps attached to it and then reminded me that I was in a thrift store."

In America they get things from storage auctions or as you mentioned they sell clothes that did not sell, have some minor flaws etc,

We have a store called Good Will. People donate to them a lot.

My nutty neighbor was addicted to shopping. She didn't but cheap stuff. She never wore 80% of the clothes. Most of them still had the tag on. She would donate them to Good Will to make room in her closet for new clothes.

0|0
    0|0
    • she could have held a garage sale instead. People are crazy about garage sales.

• I have nothing against garage sales. The lady I'm referring to had money to buy all of these clothes. she wasn't going to waste her time having a garage sale, she didn't care about making money only spending it.. It twas easier to donate them

• I have no real problem with thrift stores. They're great when I need something I'm not going to wear much, especially because I make a lot of costumes. Plus, you can find some really good stuff there if you know how to look.

The only problem is the social stigma that comes with shopping at thrift stores. I wouldn't go there for my entire wardrobe. I knew a girl in high school who did and she got teased a lot, and she even bought her prom dress there. It' was really weird. If I got spotted going to a thrift store I would be pretty embarrassed.

0|0
    0|0
    • 'need something I'm not going to wear much', that's sounds like the kind of items that should be purchased IMO too. Personally speaking, if she was able to get a great prom dress she liked, it makes complete sense. Because those are the kind of clothes people won't have worn very often, maybe once even. It makes all the more sense to save up because YOU won't be wearing those clothes often either. I think the social stigma will die out soon, and has no constructive basis.

• They're interesting places to go to find some intriguing things, my fiancĂ© thinks of them as places to look back into the past and seeing the present

0|0
    0|0
  • love them! cheap, awesome clothes :)

0|1
    0|0
  • Amazing <333

0|1
    0|0
  • I like 'em, especially for the books ^.^

0|0
    0|0
    • Books! How could I have missed those. In my country, piracy is a very big issue. Sometimes you only get original, vintage books from thrift stores and nowhere else. Also magazines such as the September issues and GQ specials.

• Show All
    • I bet. And the sense of achievement and joy of being as lucky every time you read it. Such a delightful feeling :P

• Exactly! And just knowing some one has read and enjoyed it before you. Makes me feel all giddy :D

• It's no different than buying used stuff on e-bay, which I like to do. Mainly because brands I like aren't as common where I live -- so they are even less common in thrift stores. I've bought a few nice pieces of furniture in thrift stores.

0|0
    0|0
    • Excellent point. I'm sure there is lots of retro furniture, and cool decorative pieces you could find that aren't even manufactured anymore.

Recommended myTakes