What is your opinion on thrift stores?

Unfortunately, I don't have many antique stores or thrift stores around, so I don't know much. There is one however, I was walking by, and really loved this leather bag on the display. I went inside to ask the price, and the lady herself told me about the fake straps attached to it and then reminded me that I was in a thrift store.

But the items are new or almost new such that you can't tell -they sell clothes that did not sell, have some minor flaws etc, haven't been worn more than once (because the original tags are intact and there is no wear-tear/fading etc). They have slightly used variety for accessories. The reason I've suddenly become so fond of it is because it offers the highest quality, original, very fashionable items you won't see anywhere else. My sister found a Valentino clutch purse (with a dysfunctional zipper that requires restitch) and Jimmy Choo shoes which seems unbelievable.

Anyways, they seem more like a social taboo from what I hear. What's your stance? Have you ever been to one? How was the experience? Any amazing finds?

142

Most Helpful Girl

• I think thrift stores are great. You can find some real treasures. Any stigma these establishments may have is a little dated.

I found a genuine, vintage Karl Lagerfeld LBD from the 1970s for only $25. I paired it with Betsy Johnson peep-toe pumps that I bought at the same store for $15.

• WOW! I know people who would get a heart attack having read this answer lol

Sounds absolutely amazing, You have really mentioned the kind of items I believe thrift stores are made for, outerwear, shoes, accessories, props. thank you so much for answering, (I must hunt down new thrift stores lol).

• Yeah, I was really lucky. Thrift stores are fantastic places to find good quality accessories and shoes.

• Thank you for your concise yet considerably informative answer. Gave me food for thought on importance of thrift stores :P I must find one lol