What is the best way to stop being a pushover?

I'm not necessarily talking about just relationships or dating, but life in general. I have a tendency to be a pushover. Always have been. I'm sick of being that person and want to do something about it. Any suggestions?

12

Most Helpful Guy

• This might sound dumb, but it's as simple as changing the way you think about yourself. The problem is, changing the way you think can be really hard for most people.

You need to accept that you are a valuable and worthy person who deserves to be treated with standard human decency by everyone, and considerably better than that by your boyfriend. You have to know and believe that so strongly that you're willing to leave the guy if he doesn't treat you that way, even if you have feelings for him. Obviously, you need to try to communicate and work it out, but ultimately, it might come down to you being able to walk away.

The other thing is that you have to stand up for yourself from Day 1. Don't give even an inch on the respect front at the beginning of the relationship; insist that he gives you the respect you deserve, and the first time he doesn't, call him on it immediately. Once he realizes that's what you expect, that's how he'll treat you. He will respect you for not letting him walk all over you or push you around. It will even probably change the way he lets others around him treat you.

It all starts with your own self-image and self-worth.