Which is a better choice; running away or suicide?

I can't stand this anymore! School, friends, peers, people, my mother, my sister, EVERYTHING! I feel like I don't have many choices... either run away, or suicide. I know how bad both are, but I need to take action. I can't handle this. My mother hates me! And don't you dare tell me I'm over reacting! She told me today that she hates everything about me and that I'm an awful terrible person. I'm okay with either choice, but I want to know which you think is the best.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• When I was 14-17 years old, I lived alone with a mentally unstable single mother. She was rarely home, but when she was, she was prone to freak out over nothing and kick me out or berate me. My entire life she's told me I wasn't good enough, smart enough, capable enough, responsible enough, you name it. Does it leave you damaged? Yes. Do you feel like there's just no way to deal with it? Yes. Will it last forever? No.

You must enact as much positive change into your life as you are in control over. The rest of it you just have to work towards longer term goals that rectify those problems. Mom hates you? Get amazing grades, get a full ride to a great school, do amazing there, get a phenomenal job and move on. Nobody can do what you can do for yourself. You can build a life that you're proud of and enjoy or you can ruin the potential for greatness by making terrible impulsive mistakes like what you're considering now. The choice is yours.

I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I can tell you both options you're considering will be a mistake.

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Suicide is messy, and you can't change your mind. If there is no way to finish school and bail, the run. Try and see if you can get a truce, because if you run, you need a job, id, and the hope you make it to a legal age. If the cops pick you up, you are back with you family, or worse, a ward of the government. So:

-chill and think if you can get a truce at home...use the time to get into a school, job, whatever allows you out...

-run is a last resort...you will be called a quitter and immature if caught, but the fact is you can pick up the pieces...

-suicide is to final, so just cross that off the list.

I thought of both at 16, a truce was worked out, I did all kinds of jobs. It was h*ll for 15 months, but I made it better than anyone said I would. Of course, I did have the (silent) support of my younger sister, so I had a bit more...

Think coolly, don't be rash. The best to you, I will bet you are a good person, wish I could give you a hug, make it better...so you do it, make it better...

0|0
    0|0
  • How about quit acting like an immature, selfish, attention seeking brat and communicate with your family. I doubt your mother hates you enough to be glad of your death. Grow up.

0|0
    0|1
    • you sound just like my mother... And you know what you're probably right. I am an immature selfish attention seeking brat. But you are WRONG abbout the communication part. I communicate! I try and try and try, no one f***ing hears me... You DO NOT know my mother and you DONT know my back ground. But thank you Misty 04, you just helped me make my decision.

• Show All
    • You are so lame, you should better keep your mouth shut as you're full of sh*t!

• Mate you spelt your name wrong.

• that isn't your only choices you can also stay and finish school, maybe contact CPS so they can get a foster family for you til you turn 18 and then you can get a place of your own.

0|0
    0|0
    • what's CPS? Wouldn't they want a real reason to place me anyway?

• Suicide is obviously more permanent than running away. Things will change in the world but you'd stay DEAD. Slap yourself for even thinking these things.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just run away - you'll have better odds to start a better life compared to a situation if you'll be dead.

0|0
    0|0
  • You've got like one year until you are an adult... So, in the next year plan out what you want to do when you leave. You could enroll in college and live in the dorms, live off grants or loans while you go to school. You could join the military on active duty and go where ever it takes you, get paid for your service and have your expenses covered. Get a job wherever and work your ass off and support yourself if the cost of living is lower where you live now. Make your plan and get your stuff together over the next year and then take action then once you're out of high school and you are an adult your mom can be a nasty bitch by herself while you move on with life.

0|0
    0|0
    • ugh cmon you think the 1997 in her username is a mistake? she's at least 15

• didn't read the username, just scrolled over it and age said 17

• run away, you're probably misunderstood and you need to find someone who doesn't judge you and pushes what they want on you. Suicide is really sad.. I want to give you a hug and hope you find love and feel better later. You're not a bad or terrible person, and I know that I don't know you but I sincerely believe it anyways. The fact that you feel upset and guilty means you have a big heart, something a lot of horrible people in the world do not.There's people who run corporations that exploit millions of poor families and don't feel any guilt..

0|0
    0|0
  • Suicide is almost never the answer...run away if you must...o.O

0|0
    0|0
  • Or you can go to college instead.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes