Why do homsexuals want to get married?

I know this is a controversial issue. But what I don't understand is why can't they just live together? Why does marriage have to come into the picture...Do they want the legal and economic benefits that heterosexual couples have as well? I am just a little bit confused about what they really want.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Besides fighting for basic human rights, which should be a given; here's a link to help enlighten you on the extras marriage entails

link

Also in regards to your comment about children- yes it's true that it's difficult for homosexual couples to adopt, however marriage would be a step closer in the direction needed to gain those rights as well. Change isn't instantaneous. You need progression to reach the ideal result.

In case you have any concerns on regards to homosexuals raising children

link

And an example of why the marriage title is very important, and why not being able to marry is discrimination.

link

I hope some of this helps you see why it's such a big deal.

5|3
    0|1
    • Holy Shit finally somebody with a brain answers my question. Thank You!

• lol no problem and thanks for the BA!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Why can't heterosexual people just live together? Why does anyone need marriage? That's the question.

Homosexual people are not a race separated from rest of humanity. They are humans with the same dreams and hopes as the heterosexual. They want to get married for the same reasons hetero want to.

3|3
    0|0
    • and those reasons are?

• Show All
    • No, you don't need marriage to show love. Some feel they need, though. I will never get married, but this is not about me. I'm simply stating that the wishes to get married or NOT married is the same regardless of your sexual preferences.

• I really don't think they are doing it for love, I think they are just doing it for social and legal acceptance...nothing else. I am not saying it is necessarily wrong, I am just saying that some people might get advantage of the system. Sure I guess the same can happen between hetesexual couples, but since it is much harder for homosexuals to get children, I think it can be easier to abuse the system.

• Equal rights and why shouldn't they wanna get married? Straight people want it too, I don't see how different it is for gay people. it's not because they're gay that they have different views on life and love and marriage.

2|3
    0|1
    • it gets a bit more complicated since 95% of couples can procrate though. So children make a big picture.

• Show All
    • because marriage is the cradle of children! And just because some don't want to have children, it doesn't take the right of others who do want them, which makes your argument invalid, because the law is created for those that want them. Anyhow even same sex marriage is legal, adoption is still not as widely accepted legally and political, which also makes your argument invalid. Which also brings the question why getting married then?

• So if I ever get married, you think I SHOULD have kids and I shouldn't get married because I don't want them? No offence, but to me that's a bit of bullsh*t.

Indeed, why get married? I don't need to get married. I don't think my arguments are invalid, you just see things differently than I do.

• By the same logic of your question, why did African Americans want to end segregation? "I don't understand why they can't just sit on the back of the bus."

It all comes down to equality and not having your country tell you that you are not as important as the person standing next to you. No one wants to feel as if they are not being looked after by their own country. So yes, having the same rights is actually a valid argument.

3|1
    0|0
    • And by saying that "some people take advantage of the system" is not a good enough reason for homosexuals to not get married. Plenty of heterosexual "couples" abuse the system for their own gains, yet the law allows them to make that decision for themselves. Why can't everyone else be allowed the same option? Marriage does not only exist for the purpose of having children either. What if I have a disease that makes it so I can't have a baby? Am I not fit for marriage because I can't give birth?

• lol why you talk to me? You don't answer my messages no more :P

• To be honest, I find it nigh on impossible to answer this question, cause I'm struggling to grasp your viewpoint, on the basis of which to formulate a response. Let's start with the basic assumptions. Homosexuality is normal. A significant chunk of the population is gay. People don't deserve fewer rights on the basis of their sexual orientation. Crudely, marriage is a social institution, not necessarily a religious one, through which to publicly affirm your commitment to your partner. Now which of these do you disagree with?

In the past, the majority suppressed the minority, and outsiders were looked upon with disgust and scorn. We can posit a number of reasons for this. For example there may be an evolutionary explanation, say a kinship mentality, where outsiders were rightly feared and assumed to pose a threat. This kinship mentality survives to this day: take a look around you, see how people form their own little groups, through which they elevate themselves and find novel ways to unconsciously debase others.

But now we understand human nature to a greater extent, we understand more about psychology, sociology; the degree to which we are conditioned. Our consciousness has been raised through mixing with these people, hearing their stories. We now, one would hope, empathise with them, see them as human; imagine ourselves in a position where we are the outsider, and subject to the whim of bigots.

I really don't understand how anyone could see this as being a 'controversial issue'.

So why not then?

1|1
    0|0
  • i can't understand how you're so stupid.. why can't men and women just live together according to your logic? course they want the same benefits.. there's no reason they shouldn't be able to have them either.

2|1
    0|0
    • Having the same rights its not a valid argument IDIOT! Then should weirdos be allowed to practice bestiality, because they are not hurting anybody? or be married to animals? Exactly! Plus I can ask whatever I want f***ing goof, you didn't answer my question anyways. So before you actually insult me you better go back to kindergarden and start learning basic debating skills. Dipsh*t!

• obviously not because animals can't consent you dumb f***. Jesus your logic is so retarded. I can't wait for the idiot conservatives old rusty mindsets to die out with morons like you.

• Well, they want to have the same rights that everyone else has. I think what gets people's panties in a twist is that the word marriage has a religious meaning to them. However, most of my gay friends want to married because 1) they love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together, 2) they want to be recognized that they are linked together in the eyes of the law (ie: if their spouse goes into the hospital, they have no legal rights to be there, to make any medical decisions, or any legal claim to any property, etc.) 3) they want the benefits that all straight couples have: link

Now, I know some gay couples want to be recognized by their religion. However, I think that is something that they should take up with their individual religious organization.

Most people want to be recognized by the state and the federal government. But, because "marriage" has such a religious connotation, that it really bothers people who are religious.

Before I met my husband, I never saw the big deal of marriage either. But, once I met him, and we fell madly in love, I couldn't imagine not being able to marry him. It seems silly, but it is something that I value very much now.

I just think that people should be allowed to marry, as long as they aren't hurting anyone. Why should it matter to anyone else who I marry as long as I'm not hurting anyone? It shouldn't.

And, I know a lot of people are going to make the claim that civil unions are just as good...no...no they're not. That's like saying that it's okay to have separate water fountains...and haven't we decided that's not a good idea anyway!

But, that's enough on my soap box, I guess. But, this is a good question and I'm curious as to what everyone is going to write!

0|1
    0|0
  • You speak of homosexuals as if they are a different species. A lot of people want to get married - why would people with an attraction towards their own sex want any different?

It's about the freedom to do what everyone else can. Why should a sect of society be denied the right to marriage just because they don't have a traditional man-woman relationship? Denying that right seems sillier than the want of that right in itself.

0|1
    0|0
  • that's like saying why do the Chinese want to get married, they can just live together

you can't pick and choose equality/human rights so it needs to be extended to all

and if there aren't genuine reasons for it to be banned then there's no point listening to it

0|1
    0|0
  • they want to have the same rights as everyone else and if one of them would end up in the hospital then they other isn't allowed to visit them cause they aren't legally married and its consider a close relative.

1|1
    0|0
  • They want the same right as any straight couple. Why do straight couples get married? because they love each other, and want to spend the rest of their lives together, as each others legal partner.. they just want equality.

1|1
    0|0
  • Its the same reasoning as "separate but equal" used by many back when blacks wanted equal rights and citizenship. "give them rights but don't call them citizens." Its the same reasoning-

"give them the same rights but don't call it marriage."

I don't understand why this is till an issue. If people are so concerned with it ruining the sanctity of marriage, why no look at marriage for publicity, drunk vegas weddings and televised (Kim Kardashian style) weddings before you deny gays the right to marry.

2|2
    0|0
  • They want and deserve the rights as everyone else gets in this country.

1|2
    0|0
  • To be honest I don't consider them married. I have nothing against it or anything but I'm sure it has to do with equal rights. They want the same rights as everyone else

0|1
    2|2
  • They want to be equal just like when a man marrys a woman lol

0|1
    0|0
  • Because they want the same rights as man and woman couples, and not to be viewed as outcasts by society

1|1
    0|0
  • They want to be married the same reason hetreosexuals want to get married.

1|1
    1|1
  • Okay, there are things like custody laws where the spouse or family gets make medical choices, money, child custody, ex. And since they are not married legally the family is the one who gets to make the choices, such as what happens to things

granted housing is not really part of this as most of them co own houses, but there are things that only a spouse of person gets to choose what happens, and no spouse means the closest living relative is the one the choice gets defaulted too

plus how would it affect your marriage if a couple guys or girls got married, it's not like there are only ex amounts of how many people can get married, granted it may cause a delay as there would be more couples competing for the ceremony time, but seriously other than that possible minor inconvenience, there isn't any reason that they shouldn't be allowed to get married

1|1
    0|0
  • maybe because they love each other, thought it was pretty obvious.

0|1
    0|0
  • why do straight people want to get married?

1|1
    0|1
    • to have babies and then have a family. Sucks gay people can't do that

• Not necessarily sundrop28, people already do that outside of marriage. Marriage is just another way of showing how much you love a person, in a form of 'union', among other things and aside form religious beliefs. What DOES suck, is that there's people who exist that think like you. It's a preference/want kind of thing, if the want it, and some people can have it, why shouldn't everyone?

• Because we were romantic and stupid.

• For the same reasons heterosexuals want to get married.

Fine then, if you find a girl you are in love with and want to marry, why don't you two just live togehter? Why does marriage have to come into the picture?

2|1
    0|0
  • Oh for Pete's sake, people like you are the reason why this world is still such an ignorant and hateful place!

Go back to the 50s where you came from. There you can tell homosexuals, women, blacks, and anyone who's different, how they have to live their lives. We're in 2012 and this is supposed to be a free world with EQUAL RIGHTS for everyone.

Grow up.

4|2
    1|1
    • So now I can't have an opinion or question the status quo? So much for being contemporary and "open minded".

• That didn't even make any sense! haha

• Someone who's open minded would never say something liek "I don't think homosexuals marry for love"...are crazy? Who the heck are you to say what other people feel? Seriously, WTF man?

• They can marry already any man can marry a women and any women can marry a man.

1|1
    2|5
    • They want extra rights they already have the same rights.

• Show All
    • They can marry if they want, there is no discrimination

• In SOME states they can marry. And they are being discriminated everywhere.

Recommended myTakes