If a father gives a bad example does it mean the son will be the same as him?

A lot of people say "like father, like son" is this true? In my family my grandfather used to drink a lot and became violent. My fathers Never ever laid a hand on us or ever got drunk. But would this be the case if my guys father in terms of midlife crisis and running off with a younger woman? I do think about this a lot is it genetic or a conscious decision?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Actually, my old man's constant cheating inspired me as to what NOT to do in a relationship lol.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• It is about a little of all, both genetic and environmental. Meaning, aside from genetics we are a product of our environment. What we are exposed to as a child, we view as the norm in adulthood. To break that cycle one has to rise above it, making a decision to do things differently. This is easier said than done however. It also requires an internal desire and motivation.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the person. You yourself said your dad wasn't like your grandfather. My dad was a piss drunk abusive husband and father. Everyone in my family tells me I am nothing like him, and I have never laid a hand on a S.O. It also depends on the age of when they are exposed to negativity like that. When you're younger, you're more likely to emulate behavior from your caregiver.

0|0
    0|0
  • not at all. yes there is a tendency to follow examples good and bad. but most of us decide at some point to be our own man. and all the responsibility is with us. hope that helps.

0|0
    0|0
  • I say it's usually true but in some cases the father can teach the sun not to be like him or the sun can see his father is an awful person and try to be different.

when I was young like 9 or even younger my mom left my father because he use to drink I think that's one of the reasons I only drink like 4 times a year. that and after my father stopped drinking he became nicer and that's more like the kind of person I want to be.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes