Why It's Better to Stay Single Throughout College!

If you are anything like me then you take dating very seriously and make it a priority. So I have noted down a few reasons why I have decided to stay single throughout college and why I think it's the best option.

1. More time to find yourself

People our age don't know what they want in life and end up making commitments they can't keep. This leads them I sticky situations and a lot of regret. So its better to find out what you want before getting in a relationship.

2. Career building

College education is important and our entire career depends on it. The time and effort we put in our portfolio will make something of us. A stupid break up can ruin your grades and your hard work. So better to stay away from dating for a while.

3. Physical relationships

I have personally decided to save myself for marriage (though I would never bash someone with different opinions) but I have seen people being irresponsible about their sexual lives by not using the needed protection and this can lead to unwanted pregnancy and stds. So I am not saying don't do it I am saying that be responsible.

These are the few reasons I think staying single is the best. Bye!

1434

Most Helpful Guy

• I actually agree with this. When I look back on it, I find college dating to be overrated compared to the dating experiences that occurred immediately after college. After college, you have so much more resources which greatly improves the dating experience. Additionally, when you're in college you're better off focusing on your studies. Some guy below said that if you don't have time to date in college then you won't have time to date after you graduate -- that makes zero sense. Your college studies are far, far more rigorous than what you do for work, which might seem funny considering you pay to go to college and you get paid to work a job.

Most Helpful Girl

• Personally I disagree, though of course it's an individual choice. College is a good place to meet a long-term partner, or just to gain dating experience if you're not ready for anything serious. However, I would suggest waiting till junior year to start actively seeking a long-term partner if that's what you want, since most people do not really know their goals before then. LOTS of people drop out of college, so if it's important to you that your partner be college-educated, it's better to go for someone who is closer to finishing their degree.
    Of course, life usually has different plans than we do, so these are only light suggestions.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 33

• I find it odd how there are people where who outright say that having relationships or not having them can be right or wrong. To each their own.

• Sorry but when you find true love, you will know. It can find you when you least expect it. I told myself I would not go into the military with any ties to anyone. I asked this girl out at the end of a long day together... that was jan 10, 1989, we spent every day together until I went into the military on Feb 14, 1989, I came home on a 3 day pass May 27 and proposed. We were together 25 years and we have 3 amazing sons. Love is love and you can try and stay away from it but sometimes it just finds you.

• Disagree.

1. How do you know what you want without gaining experience to know what you do or don't? You will need a work-life balance for the rest of your life, this is a good time to get used to it.

2. I have never, ever had an employer ask what my grades were. So long as I passed the course and got the diploma, that was all they were interested in. Working yourself to death and not having any much needed recreation trying to get that "first" for your degree is a mistake.

3. That is just your opinion and not really an ironclad reason why other people shouldn't either.

I spent much of university out drinking and meeting girls and gained far more valuable experience as an adult than I did from my courses.

• gaining experience doesn't need to be dont during school though, you can easily learn to manage it after, and of course an employer doesn't want your grades- they want the diploma and depending on what your doing, it could take up a lot of studying time and it costs a lot too, so it makes sense to study as hard as you can while you have the oportunity. also she never said it was an 'ironclad reason' not to date just her opinion and reasons she doesn't and what kind of useful experience did you get from drinking anyways? (if that sounded rude at all then its rlly late and i sometimes sound rude so sorry lol)

• Staying single while in college helped me a lot. I didn't see it as something positive back then. But looking back at everything, I wasn't distracted or having a partner telling me what choices to make, and I was able to learn to be myself. You can't learn to be yourself with other people around.

• Coming from a crazy cat lady makes sense lol. You do you.

• I completely disagree:

1) a girlfriend or boyfriend can be a great support during stressful exams

2) college is the easiest time in your life to find someone: many lifelong relationships begin in college, only an idiot would pass up that opportunity

3) if you don't date in college you won't learn what you like and you won't develop courting skills, which are especially important for men if they don't want to end up 40-year old virgins

You're writing this from the privileged position of a pretty girl while literally everyone who isn't a pretty girl can't really afford to not date in college. And even for the pretty girls it's maybe not a good idea to spend a large part of the time they still have their youthful good looks refusing to date.

• I have finished college but I wish I had a good woman as my girlfriend right now :(
    Girls and women can be so exciting and uplifting and supportive and fun.
    *takes a deep breath and exhales*
    Nevertheless I wasn't distracted. So I can't say for sure.

• If you don't have time for a boyfriend while you're in college than you may as well forget about having time for a relationship after you graduate and get a real job. Before you know it you'll be 40 years old, you'll have hit the wall and you'll be bitching that there are no good men around. This song is your future, as many college educated women will tell you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axspDIa8p0g&spfreload=10

• Yep agree with you except the physical relationships part. I have gone back to college for my master's and prefer to stay single no matter how many girls beg me for relationships. Although I am open for physical relationships without any commitments (like i was since 6 years.)

• that's what fuck buddies are for

• haha nice oneπŸ˜›

• I agree, getting into a relationship can really sidetrack people who want to put school as a focus. Sex, drinking etc... Honestly I already had sex been there done that in high school. What's the big deal... Went to trade school and started working/learning. Now I am pretty much the top payed in my trade and can't really go any higher. Six figures with no debt, house, car but going to buy a new truck soon.

• I don't personally think that you should restrict yourself form being in a relationship, if it happens it happens. Just make sure education takes priority.

• College is the best opportunity to meet your long-term partner, it only gets harder to socialize after school

• Yeah best to limit yourself to hookups in college, as there are lots of partners to choose from, and relationships are a time drain.

• This is so wrong. You need to network in college if you plan on finding a job after graduation. Whether you network by talking to the nerds or by screwing the rich sluts you need to get to know people.

• Yeah that. And also college relationships are fake af. Usually just due to convience. Way too much cheating and drama.

• I didn't ever consider being single in college. I was single... between two girlfriend s.

• Interesting

• I agree wholeheartedly , this all applies beyond college as well.

• More from Guys
    13

What Girls Said 13

• I agree cause a lot of young adults just want to be free, have fun, and maybe have an occasional fling so relationships won't be as serious. However, it's still possible to find the love of your life in college, you could end up missing that person or never have time to date once you get out college cause your job might be very demanding. My thing is when comes to dating in college, look for someone who isn't dating for the hell of it but someone who wants to start and grow a relationship. It may take some time to find such person but they are there.

• Okay a lot of people will say do this or that. But primarily, do you know yourself? I mean... REALLY know yourself? For example, going into college I was depressed, stressed out and ready for a change. I didn't know myself enough and experiences in college shaped me into the wonderful goofy woman I am today. Back then, I wanted a relationship so badly because I felt it would make me more interesting, help me fit in, and affirm that I was a loveable woman. But I wasn't aware of any of those things at the time. Relationships between young adults who don't know themselves will be difficult. Before you take the advice from random people on the internet, make sure you know who you are. Have a strong sense of independence, identity, emotional discipline. If you have those 3 things, date in college. If not (most young adults don't so you aren't alone) then develop those things alone. There's a crap ton of unhealthy/abusive relationships in college - don't get in one yourself.

• Actually I think it would make the process feel much easier. I wish I had someone during these years. I would feel like I have someone who would be proud of me and be with me during my learning experiences. Too bad I haven't gotten this yet. I'll appreciate it if I do at least during graduate studies.

• You make some goodness points. But a relarionship doesn't hold you back either

• I totally agree. That's why I am currently looking for a fuckbudy on tinder. Looking for older males, they've got experience 😁

• I completely agree

• People are so immature in college, and seem to grow up afterwards!

• I agree!

• Sometimes it feels like college is my last chance to meet good boys that are interested in similar things as me. I've been so lonely my entire life, and I've turned down so many good people who were perfect for me-just because I wanted to focus on getting through high school. If someone good for me shows up, intrested in me again, I don't think I can hold back.

• Stay on the books, off the guys lol

• preach sista! wise people build their career before they build their relationship.

• I want to meet so many people and date people in college. :( I start in 2 weeks. I dont want to be single forever. i want to meet my guy and be happy :(. I'm joining a sorority lol

• Interesting