The Glorification of Age Gap Relationships Is Only Hurting YOU

Age-gap relationships and the glorification of them isn't healthy...

Yes, those kinds of relationships usually worked out in the past because they were merely business deals - trading your daughter for livestock, some land, money or a title was the norm, and it didn't really matter if said daughter was happy or not...what mattered was that she served a purpose to her family and to her husband.

Nowadays usually no one is forcing the youngster to go into an age-gap relationship with a significantly older person. They do it because it sounds like a good idea, and within romanticizing that idea they seem to have a lot of suppositions that actually a lot of the time turn out to be false - hence they get disappointed and things, surprisingly enough, just don't work out for most of these relationships.

Here are some of the pitfalls in the suppositions young people make about age-gap relationships:

1. Just because they're old/er doesn't mean they're mature.

2. Just because they seem rational and well-mannered doesn't mean they aren't going to manipulate you and use you.

3. Just because they are with you doesn't mean they take you seriously.

4. Just because they have numerous life experiences doesn't mean they've learned from them.

5. Just because they're reached a certain age doesn't mean they're stable and independent in life.

3863
LittleSally is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm in my mid 30s and for the last 6 years or so almost all the girls I've dated are in their 20s (exception of one who was my same age).

When I was 28 I dating a 20 yr old for a few months. At the time I felt sorta werid about it.. but we talked it out and gave it a shot. It was first time I was in a age gap relationship. It was fun while it last though.

The best relationship I had was with a 25 yr old when I was 32. She was very mature for age and felt like she didn't fit in well with other 25 yr old guys. Sadly I was going through a very difficult time in my life and the relationship went south because my own problems (I would have proposed in a different time in my life).

Being in my 30s I just don't run into many available women my age. The single ones are usually divorced, have kids or severe baggage issues OR they are no physically appealing (mordidly obese). I'm a former professional athlete and I still keep myself in shape.

Anyway I have a lot more luck dating girls in their 20s then when I WAS IN MY 20s. I treat them well, have fun and treat them like equals if their maturity is up there. There is nothing wrong with that. I'll take it.

• I forgot to add. Some of the worst dating. Experiences I’ve had are from women in their 30s. In the last year I’ve had FIVE women close to my age flake out, stand me up and the last one lied to my face about needing to use the bathroom, she instead ditched me while we are on a date. Some older women incredibly get worse.

Most Helpful Girl

• Ok, so what’s your point? I gotta say you missed the board here, in my opinion.

Age gap couples often work out perfectly fine. And if they don’t, it’s not because of age, but because of differences in personality.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 62

• Haha I've known a lot of large age gap couples, and I've had a few age gap relationships myself. I've never noticed any of the women being sold like livestock, and if I was one of those women, I'd be highly offended at the suggestion.

Responses:
    1. 'Just because they're old/er doesn't mean they're mature.'
    So save yourself the uncertainty and go for guaranteed immaturity by marrying young.

2. 'Just because they seem rational and well-mannered doesn't mean they aren't going to manipulate you and use you.'
    So go for younger people who will never, ever, ever manipulate and use you.

3. 'Just because they are with you doesn't mean they take you seriously.'
    So go for younger people who will always take you seriously.

4. 'Just because they have numerous life experiences doesn't mean they've learned from them.'
    So save yourself the uncertainty and go for guaranteed inexperience and ignorance by marrying young.

5. 'Just because they're reached a certain age doesn't mean they're stable and independent in life.'
    So save yourself the uncertainty and go for guaranteed instability by marrying young.

Don't worry. Older people look for maturity in the younger people they date, so you're safe.

• I have never heard anyone glorifying age gaps where the man is older. In fact I hear the men being called all sorts of names, and getting accusations about needing a younger woman because they are easier to control being thrown at him. Often I even hear the women being treated like whores as well. The only time it is ever glorified is if she is an older woman or "cougar" having one night stands with younger guys.

Men are attracted to youth and beauty, which women lose as they get older. Women are attracted to wealth and status, which men gain as we get older. This means women have the advantage when they are young, and men have the advantage when we get older. No amount of whining about human sexuality being unfair to younger guys, or older women is going to change that. I know this is painful for women reaching their thirties to accept, but that is just the way it is.

You haven't even been able to make a single case for why these relationships are bad, while making the claim that such relationships will hurt people. You basically just state that there is no guarantee that things will work out, which means nothing. People in those relationships know that there is no guarantee that just because someone is older they will be a certain way.

• Being "attracted" to money is not the same as being attracted to old body, that why many gold diggers have an younger lover on the side, for obvious reasons.

• @somewheresomeway grandpas have good genes? old men are much more likely to father children with birth defects. It's also makes old men more dangerous then old women, because women simply can't have children at too old age, while old men might spread defects to the society. Also age have nothing to do with gander, men get old no less then women ( even if some men try to deny it desperately), and all your talk about 'wrinkles' of old women, can be said about old men as well. Also it's known that testosterone get much lower at old ages.

www.dailymail.co.uk/.../...dren-birth-defects.html

• @Berethor Women age faster than men because they have less collagen in their skin www.linkedin.com/.../fact-fiction-male-skin-ages-slower-than-female-michelle-skelly

I'm also not saying that "grandpas" should procreate when they are 60+ with women in their 20s. But there is nothing wrong with 30/40 something men dating women in their 20s. Middle age women hate though.

I'm trying very hard to stay patient with you. Maybe in Israel you see more creepy forced marriages with old men getting young women. I can tell you that sure as hell isn't happening in USA, UK, Canada and Australia. In these west countries women have the power of choice to pick and choose men as they please. If a 21 yr old woman wants to fuck a 45 yr old man that's completely her choice over here.

• Assumes the conclusion. yes, all of these statements are true, but none of them are definitive. "Just because he's a left-handed rocket scientist doesn't mean he doesn't pick his toenails" is also true, but not relevant. you have failed to show how ANY of these impacts my relationship negatively, or even how they must negatively impact the relationship of someone who is in an age gap situation. "might be" is not "Must be".

• I can't disagree with you more. I'm 45 and I'm dating a 24 year old. Everyone's situation is different. Our age gap means nothing because we don't care. We both know I'll die before she will; we both know I'll need care before she will, most likely. It's not like it's some "state" secret. As long as we're happy together, we really don't care what other people think.

• Some other thoughts.
    What happens when the older person loses sex drive before you?
    What happens when the older person retires and want to move into a retirement community?
    What happens when the older person starts suffering from end of life medical problems?

• I think 1/2 come down to how they treat the person. Younger guys lack game/romance/skills. And older women aren't shy, more aggressive and more confident with their bodies.

I think most girls have an Older guy fetish, others are just gold diggers and like the gifts/money support a sugar-daddy offers. Young guys can also be feed up with the stupid games/out of nowhere mood swings younger girls have more often than older ones.

• While everything you have said is true, couples with a 10 to 15 year age gap on average have more successful marriages than couples that are within the same age group.

I don't have scientific research to back me up, I say this because I look at the people I personally know. The majority of couples I know that have lived together for 20 or more years, have an age gap of between 7 and 15 year between them.

• None of this means age gap relationships are bad it means dating an asshole is bad. You only made an argument to not date someone who is immature, manipulative, not taking you seriously, or doesn't learn from their mistakes. Just don't assume you know someone because you know their age.

• The irony of the first picture is... Catherine Zeta Jones did marry a guy 25 years older than her. And they've been married over 15 years, which is pretty successful for HollyWood.

The flip side is, he's 73, so there's decent odds he'll be dead in 2 years. And she'll be 50 and a widow. Or he'll live long, and at 55 she'll be watching him dying badly of old age.

Who things these age gaps are going to end well? Ugh.

• Or she could die in a car accident later today or from cancer next month, yet she was able to experience a great relationship all the way the end

• So what makes you an expert? How do you know that this is not just true for you but also the majority of cases?
    Never thought i’d say this, but maybe you should stick to those flakey fashion takes.

• Show more from Guys
    52

What Girls Said 37

• I want to grow old with my husband.
    I couldn't imagine our life together if he was 15 years older.

• I can't agree enough with this. So much of the time one partner is using the other just for their looks or a sense of control over another human and will feed the younger any kind of crap to keep the relationship going. The basic rule of life is; You have a conscious so if you have to ask "is this wrong?" there's a good chance that it's wrong.

• I never saw someone glorifying such relationships, but there is nothing wrong with it either.

My sister willingly married a guy 9 years older than her. My entire family opposed it because of his low income but she literally had to go through a battle to finally marry him. Now they're married for 5 years and I also have a cute little niece! Believe me when I say this, no amount of money could have made my sister so happy.

• She married a guy 9 years older and not for his money? interesting story.

• thats so very nice in what you are saying

• thats so true

• I am 41, my husband is 55. We've been together for 20 years, and are still very much in love and extremely happy. I would say that each couple is unique, as is their circumstance. If you happen to be fortunate enough to fall deeply in love with a good person who also happens to be in love with you, go for it! Age truly is just a formality.

• Every relationship is unique so... Nobody can convice me to date older man than me so I wouldn't talk about glorification that affects anybody. Only thing it can do is break taboo. I would not date a guy much older because I love guys my age but I don't see problem when someone does.

• Hmm ig. My boyfriend is 2 years younger and i never wanted to be apart of an age gap. I tried to so hard by turning down guys you her than me that i really liked, year after year. Yet i still ended up here

• Well my experience with older men in the past was some just wanted a younger more energized sexual woman; most were just as immature as guys my age at the time; then there was the one that was controlling, that was the worst of them all. Now, I date older men but also many younger men too.

• I honestly think it's natural for women to prefer older men and men to prefer younger women. My own grandparents were 17 years apart and were married for over 35 years before my grandfather passed away. I Don't think it's a glorification, but in my personal experience, older guys ARE more mature than the guys my age. The guys my age are still struggling to understand credit card debt. That's really pathetic.

• thank you l would love to have a younger fit girl l look 45 honest ldo

• To be honest if it's legal, age is just a number, I mean c'mon gosh.
    Because probably you failed in your "big-age gap" relationship cause your partner was like that NOT everyone will end up like this. Chill.

• Cigarettes are also legal in most countries, but it's not makes them good.

• thank you age is a number

• @Berethor but l am not a fag lol

• Yes, all of these are really good points for some reason 3 really resonates with me. Just because someone is with you doesn't mean they actually think you're on their level. And age difference only increases the risks of that

• Show more from Girls
    27