Should I just give him space, and let him come to me?

I have been dating this guy for three months. I wasn't sure if I wanted a relationship with anyone, but when he asked me to be exclusive and just date each other, it felt right so I said yes. He then told me he was falling for me. I told him that I didn't want anything intense right now because I am studying to go to law school. He told me this was OK but then said he didn't necessarily agree that me going back to school was the right thing to do. This kind of upset me because I didn't ask for his opinion on this and it is something I am really excited about. We didn't get into a fight about it, I just let it blow over. It does bother me that he felt the need to express his opinion on this 30 seconds after we decided to be in a relationship.

This conversation was almost a week ago, and he has been really distant since. I am not sure if he regrets what he said or just needs some time to think about it. I already contacted him once and we talked on the phone for a while, but never mentioned the conversation. It was a little awkward. Should I just give him space, and let him come to me? He hasn't been in a relationship in EIGHT years, so maybe he just scared himself? I kind of want to talk to him about what we wants out of a relationship and why he said that thing about school, but I don't want to be pushy. I also would like to tell him that I could see myself falling for him as well. Advice much appreciated.
1
2