Do you think it's more important to connect with someone emotionally, mentally, or physically?

My friends and I were talking about this at lunch today and my guy friends said emotionally and physically, while my girlfriends said mentally and physically! I can't choose just one! What do you guys think?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Emotional. Then mental. Then physical.

An emotional connection is extremely important to me. I want to be comfortable enough in a relationship to be able to share our thoughts and feelings with each other. I want to be able to have a deep love and understanding for one another... To be able to "read" each other.

A mental connection is important, too. It's important to be intellectually compatible, and to be able to discuss or debate different topics in a respectful way.

Being attracted to each other is important, but it's certainly not the most important thing to me out of the three.

1|0
    0|0
    • Mental is least important to me, just because that's the thing that is most available elsewhere.
      I mean, people hold various views on what does and doesn't constitute cheating, in terms of the physical and emotional stuff, but I've yet to hear ANYONE nuts enough to invent the possibility of "intellectual cheating". LOL

Ya know? I mean, my boy and I connect on a lot of wavelengths, but that is far far and away the least important of the three. I have plenty of friends with whom I'm more brainy-nerd-compatible than with my husband. Oh well, that's not the stuff on which relationships and families are built.

As for the other two -- emotional and physical -- I can't even begin to understand how people could even TRY to think of those separately from each other.

• @redeyemindtricks It's easy to find guys who I'm mutually attracted to, but if I can't connect with someone on an intellectual level, I'm not interested.

It's cool if you have a different opinion.

• @redeyemindtricks yeah I don't think there is intellectual cheating but if my girl was like a box of rocks I would have to leave her. I would prefer I can have a good intellectual converstion. That is just a big turn off for me. even at that someone can become attracted to others because of their intellect.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• as much as physical attraction is important, most likely you aren't in a relationship where you think the person your with is ugly or a lousy lay. If you develop the proper emotional and mental parts of the relationship the physical part will take care of its self most times. you will have times when one of them doesn't work and usually someone will stray. so all three are very important in making a strong successful relationship

1|0
    0|0
  • Coincidentally I've recently considering this precise question. Not in terms of an either or, but in terms of current and past relationships and how well they aligned to each of these categories. I think when all three are in harmony on the "pretty damn good" to "f'ing awesome" range, you're a match. Anything short of that is an imperfect match.

1|0
    0|0
  • Emotionally, mentally and then physically. I need to be able to get along with their personality. Yes, looks are important, but if I love your personality, those "flaws" in your looks can be... overlooked. It's not about how hot you are. It's about WHO you are.

2|0
    0|0
  • All 3 in my opinion. I don't like stupid guys, I can't sleep with someone I'm not attracted to, and we have to be emotionally compatible (I do not prefer what I consider to be "weak" men, and that would be those who are more sensitive than I am).

2|0
    0|0
    • Funny how men can date women across the spectrum from "weaker" women all the way to stronger women, but most women don't even give men a chance to weaker men. I know its your preference but...

• Seeing as a lot of men are brought up to believe that they are supposed to "protect" women, it's not surprising to me.

• I think the physical connection is what primes us, then the emotional and mental aspects come into play afterwards. Then once you have an emotional and mental connection the physical takes the backseat, however still plays an important part!

1|1
    0|0
  • It's actually a combination of both, yes you can get reeled in by someone looks but it's the personality that makes you want to stay with them. Or in some cases you know someone for quite a while and at first you didn't find them attractive but as soon as you got to know them better; you thought differently

1|0
    0|0
  • It prefer to connect mentally and emotionally with someone more than physically. There is more to a person than how they look. You can have different people you like physically but for example one could be too dramatic most of the time, one could want it always about them, one could just have a nasty attitude more so than not etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • You can't choose one because you shouldn't be given the choice to choose just one of these 3.. In order to fully enjoy and have the other two you need to have an emotional connection (at least for me) But they're all equally important cause without one, that one being physical connection or mental you won't really be happy with the person you're with at that moment. Yes, some can be happy even with only one of these 3 but those who care and want all 3 will be missing something, for ex. physical connection. I can't choose just one, but if it's life or death situation I'd choose emotionally cause I feel like if you want to have the other 2 you first need to have an emotional connection with that person. Not sure if it made any sense but hey, at least I tried! :D

1|0
    0|0
  • All three are equally important. Emotionally, mentally and physically.

1|0
    0|0
    • !!!

WAIT A MINUTE

Aren't you the one who didn't believe in this stuff? Or didn't think it was for you, at least?

Mb I'm thinking of someone else. Sry if so.

• @redeyemindtricks , well you are only partly right, I always say that I believe in love, true love, emotional connection, emotional connection but the important point, " I never want to be in love"

Yes, it's not for me or shall I say that by choice I have decided that.

• Once the emotional gear clicks, the rest will follow.

Yeah, I want that emotional connection. Bad.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, yes I do I think all 3 of those are pretty important.

1|1
    0|0
  • It must be equal... i swear that it must because simply each one is related to the other and no order between them... they must come at one time

1|0
    0|0
  • emotionaly, and physically , nd wht about spiritually? (soul to soul), that is most needed.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it's equally important.

1|1
    0|0
  • Friends: mentally
    Dates: physically

1|0
    0|0
  • Emotional > physical > mental

1|0
    0|0
  • I prefer ALL of the above!!!

1|0
    0|0
  • Emotionally

1|0
    0|0
  • a balance of the three.

1|0
    0|0
  • Why not connect all 3 ways?

0|0
    0|0
  • I thought emotional and mental are the same?

1|0
    0|0
  • Emotionally, with mentally close behind.

1|0
    0|0
  • Emotionally for sure

1|0
    0|0
  • heey why can't i message you?:)

1|0
    0|1
    • i follow you now

Recommended myTakes