Help. I've fallen for him and he's playing mind games. What do I do?

I have a guy that I've been seeing for 4+ years. We're friends with benefits basically. I know he's not looking for anything more than that. And for a while I was fine with that because I was a virgin and I wanted to experiment.

For the last year or so I've been feeling like I've outgrown the casual thing but everytime I try to end things with him he talks me out of it. This last time I told him I wanted what he can't give me and I need to move on and that I was too emotionally invested in him. He tells me that he has feelings for me and he doesn't see them going away. But in the same breath he says that he has never led me on.

We spend a few hours together and hook up. He talked about a incident in his past that made him look and love and sex differently. I got the feeling he doesn't want to care about me. I hadn't heard from him in several days so I text him about hooking up.
He was very brief with me texting only a few words and said he had to work.

After telling me he has cared about since the day we met and now he's realizing how much he cares why is he being so curt with me. It feels like he's playing a game. Am I overreacting? What should I do? I'm totally in love with this guy but I don't want to be.

613

Most Helpful Girl

• I was in a similar arrangement. I knew a guy for 3 years. Really good friends. We started hooking up. I started getting feelings for him. He didn't want anything serious but still he'd continue to hook up with me. I started feeling used. Tried to cut things off multiple times but I always ended up back with him. Just the other week I finally put my foot down, told him I'd had enough and blocked him everywhere. We haven't hooked up in a while, but we still kept in touch, but even that was a bad idea because of my feelings. You have to be strong and simply cut him out. He won't change his mind about you and you're selling yourself short when you could be looking for someone who actually wants the same things as you.

• Hooking up for 3 years... Yikes but sorry... what was going on in your head lol

• Very well said. I don't understand how intelligent young woman who can express what's happening to them but can't act to protect themselves from users.

• @Tormentarian I knew him for 3 years. We only hooked up for a few months.