How do I tell my boyfriend that I want him to take me out for my birthday and buy me something for valentines day?

My boyfriend and I have been together for two months. Usually we pay for ourselves when we go out, and that doesn't bother me, especially since I'm normally the one who wants to go out. My birthday is coming up and I want him to take me to dinner. We are going to dinner on my actual birthday with my family and some friends, and my parents always cover everyone's meal since it's my birthday. So, he doesn't have to pay for that. I want him to take me out, just me and him. I want him to treat me to a nice dinner. I have never asked him to pay for me before. I feel like it would be weird, but it's what I want. But then I don't know if it's okay for me to ask for that since he has already gotten me a gift. I want dinner AND a gift for my birthday.

I also want him to get me something for valentines day, but I don't know if he will because he doesn't think of it as a "normal" holiday. I just want a stuffed animal and some flowers or something. I don't know how to tell him that either without sounding demanding.

Help? I don't ever ask him for anything. I just want to be pampered like a princess for my birthday and valentines day.

11

11
  • "I also want him to get me something for valentines day, but I don't know if he will because he doesn't think of it as a "normal" holiday. I just want a stuffed animal and some flowers or something. I don't know how to tell him that either without sounding demanding."

You can't because that is demanding. It's valentines day which is a fraud holiday. Affection is not measured by how many numbers are on the receipt. As for wanting him to surprise you with dinner just think talk about a restaurant you really like and say how you'd love to go their sometime. But don't get pissed if the hint goes over his head. You may just have to be up front about it.

• I understand that valentines day is a consumer holiday or whatever, but what's wrong with wanting flowers for once?

• Get him flowers some time. And not on valentines. That's a way of showing him you like flowers. What people do on valentines day is what they should be doing for each other every day. Reserving crap for that day just shows people don't enjoy spoiling their lover which means something in the relationship is broken or they're just selfish people by nature.(I'm not claiming this about you just to be clear)

• If he has already gotten you a gift for your birthday, you should be happy with that alone, it's the thought that counts. as for Valentine's day, some people consider it a "consumer" holiday. as long as you're spending time together on these days, that's what matters most.