My boyfriend of almost 1 year is not ready to say "I love you," but has asked me to move in with him. What is up with that?

Don't get me wrong. My boyfriend is awesome. He's smart, really funny, trustworthy, is very mature in handling relationship issues, and gets me. We get each other. Our relationship has been slow to develop, but it has been a steady progress.

We've been dating for a little over a year and been officially a couple for 11 months. About 3 weeks ago, we talked about how "I love you" has never been said in our relationship. I brought it up because I feel it's been long enough. He said that he cares deeply about me, wants our relationship to become a long-term committed one, has never been this happy in quite a while, and that this is the best relationship he's had. He also said that I'm the first person he thinks about when he wakes up in the morning... you know, really romantic stuff. But he also said that he doesn't want to say "I love you" until he's sure that he'll never take it back. He said "I love you" to him means forever. He said "I love you" pretty early in his last relationship and realized afterwards that he might have said it too early, before getting to know her well, and he doesn't want to make that mistake again.

I still want to hear the words, but I understand where he's coming from - that he and I have different definitions of those 3 words. So I'm willing to give him more time to be ready.

But less than a week ago, he asked me to move in with him when my lease is up. That came out of left field, and honestly, kinda baffles me. How is someone not ready to say "I love you" to me but seems to be ready to take the even bigger step of living with me, which means intermingling our lives even deeper?

Any insights? We're both in our 30s.
+1 y
Anybody?
2
1