It's been several months since my ex girlfriend and I broke up and I think about her constantly, making me sad. How do I move past this?

My ex girlfriend and I had a pretty drawn out aftermath to our breakup. We both texted each other a lot, she was all over the place emotionally (I think I was just in one place but it was emotional too). I mention that because it wasn't just a cut loose and move on situation.

Anyhow, it's been a while. 5 months since we broke up, 4 since we talked. We were only together for months, not years. But anytime I have idle time I start thinking about it and get depressed. And I think about her it feels like on an hourly basis.

My question is, has anyone handled this situation successfully, and how so? Not just letting it pass with time. Any thought exercises that help or anything? Do you confront the pain (maybe by deliberately going places or thinking about it), take up new interests? I'm interested in being proactive. I'm getting back into exercising again so far that's about it. Advice would be appreciated.
2
1