What should I do? I'm confused, does he like me or not? Keep trying get or give up?

It's going to be a year since we became friends. We are so much a like. I like him and ended up catching feelings towards him.
Before I told him that I liked him. He will suggested for us to go to the movies together. I will agree, but our dates will never pull through. He will always have something come up. Lately, I've been feeling blue. So one day when I was trying to control myself from having a panic attack before we parted ways he asked "do you need a hug". He opened his arms towards me and well we hugged. Also a few days ago I was feeling depressed and so I cried. He asked if I wanted to talk about it but I just simply looked away. When I did. That he got closer too me and said my name about three times. A few hours later I sent him a message apologizing in case I made him uncomfortable, he replied back "it's ok. I just don't like to see you sad".
I'm just confused why will he suggested for us to go to the movies and not pull through. I send him msgs and he replied back right away and sometimes he doesn't reply and just reads them. Is he insteredted does he care about me?
3
1